Help: Strange Transparent Squares

vollach

Well, just an update....

I did perform a test for my RAM, no RAM problem, as I expected, haven't tried Fallout 3 again since the last time it BSOD on me (last time I reported about it here), I'm honestly starting to think that the game is just a big pile of incompatibilities with my current graphic hardware or driver, time will tell though, during the next week I will probably be playing Mass Effect 3 with the new Omega DLC, if that will work as it should and as I know it worked before than the problem is definitely some sort of compatibility issue for Fallout 3 and my something in my computer.

In the meantime I am trying to convert some mods to work on my JTAGed XBOX 360, so far most seems to work, except texture replacers (including type3 body) & hair packs, I am currently looking into converting an ESM file to ESP, can't figure out how to do it or if it's even possible.

I am also looking into making an esp to activate the type3 body .dds textures, again, can't really figure how to do it.

I'll post back here when I know more about the current issue with my PC version of fallout 3.

Xbox - jtag modder - banned

Bben46

I am currently looking into converting an ESM file to ESP, can figure out how to do it or if it's even possible.

You just change the Flag type in FO3Edit... open your esm file.. go to File Header .. where it says Flag type or something like that; right click ESM, click Edit, then deselect the ESM checkbox. Exist FO3Edit.. save your file... then you just change the file extention from .esm to .esp and your done!

Edited by Valahul

I am currently looking into converting an ESM file to ESP, can figure out how to do it or if it's even possible.

You just change the Flag type in FO3Edit... open your esm file.. go to File Header .. where it says Flag type or something like that; right click ESM, click Edit, then deselect the ESM checkbox. Exist FO3Edit.. save your file... then you just change the file extention from .esm to .esp and your done!

That's all, huh?! very easy, don't know how come I didn't think on using FO3Edit, thanks.

Any tips as to making an esp that activate the .dds files for a type 3 body replacer?

It's just that to get it working on the X360 I need either such .esp file or a way to edit the 360 fallout3.esm to refer to the dds files instead of the ddx files.

vollach - Hello!

As regards your BSOD's I had a few recently on Fallout 3, having never had any before, & tracked it down to my creative sound card's driver.

Only I hadn't changed that but I had updated my Catalyst Control Center to 12.10 & that came with some HDMI sound thingy. Anyway turned out that it was that clashing with the creative sound driver. I had to go down to the little speaker symbol on the taskbar & select Playback Devices & disable that AMD HDMI & just leave my creative as the Default device.

Also disabled it in the Device Manager just to be sure.

No more BSOD's.

Worth checking, especially if your BSOD trouble started after updating to CCC 12.10 & you have a creative card.

Also, I was only able to diagnose the true cause of the BSOD with this VERY handy tool:

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

I ran WhoCrashed after the BSOD's & it analyzes the reports & gives you suggestions as to what the true cause may be. Helped me realise it was a clash with my sound drivers.

"In the meantime I am trying to convert some mods to work on my JTAGed XBOX 360"

You may not realise but Console modding is not allowed here:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/369524-console-modding-is-not-supported-here/

So you may want to avoid discussing that. :)

"I am currently looking into converting an ESM file to ESP, can figure out how to do it or if it's even possible."

That is done to edit a masterfile in GECK as only an .esp can be edited in GECK.

You can load the .esm in FO3Edit & in the .esm you want to change under "File Header" untick the .esm flag. You can change the file extension to .esp by hand but it's not needed as that flag will tell GECK it's an .esp regardless of extension.

That's only recommended for editing the file in GECK as .esm's are intended to be .esm's & almost certainly won't work as intended in game if changed to .esp's. So remember to convert back again in FO3Edit after making changes in GECK.

EDIT: I see Valahul beat me to it. :)

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

vollach - Hello!

As regards your BSOD's I had a few recently on Fallout 3, having never had any before, & tracked it down to my creative sound card's driver.

Only I hadn't changed that but I had updated my Catalyst Control Center to 12.10 & that came with some HDMI sound thingy. Anyway turned out that it was that clashing with the creative sound driver. I had to go down to the little speaker symbol on the taskbar & select Playback Devices & disable that AMD HDMI & just leave my creative as the Default device.

Also disabled it in the Device Manager just to be sure.

No more BSOD's.

Worth checking, especially if your BSOD trouble started after updating to CCC 12.10 & you have a creative card.

Also, I was only able to diagnose the true cause of the BSOD with this VERY handy tool:

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

I ran WhoCrashed after the BSOD's & it analyzes the reports & gives you suggestions as to what the true cause may be. Helped me realise it was a clash with my sound drivers.

"In the meantime I am trying to convert some mods to work on my JTAGed XBOX 360"

You may not realise but Console modding is not allowed here:

http://forums.nexusm...supported-here/

So you may want to avoid discussing that. :)

"I am currently looking into converting an ESM file to ESP, can figure out how to do it or if it's even possible."

That is done to edit a masterfile in GECK as only an .esp can be edited in GECK.

You can load the .esm in FO3Edit & in the .esm you want to change under "File Header" untick the .esm flag. You can change the file extension to .esp by hand but it's not needed as that flag will tell GECK it's an .esp regardless of extension.

That's only recommended for editing the file in GECK as .esm's are intended to be .esm's & almost certainly won't work as intended in game if changed to .esp's. So remember to convert back again in FO3Edit after making changes in GECK.

EDIT: I see Valahul beat me to it. :)

Hope this helps!

Prensa

That was a long reading....

Well, as far the BSODs concerned, I do have a Creative sound card (X-Fi XtremeGamer) and I am using version 12.10 of the catalyst control center, so sure, what you're saying IS worth checking.

BTW, I do know about WhoCrashed, I used it, most BSODs were related to either sound driver or directX graphic module, but I already mentioned that before.

So, I just wanted to try what you suggested but the playback devices window, or even the sound settings from the control panel won't open for me....

Well, as I was typing it did open up, just took a while, I seems to have 5 AMD High definition audio device instances though, guess it have to do with my card support for up to 5 monitors, I'll disable it all and see if it helps, it's unused anyway.

vollach - Hello!

I'll be curious to know if that clears your BSOD problem. Mine certainly (fingers crossed :) ) seems gone.

After the 12.10 CCC update I got 4 - 5 BSOD's in Fallout in a couple of days. Since disabling that AMD HDMI thing I've had none & it's been a few weeks now.

I've been unable to find anyone else with this trouble in any web search.

Hope it helps your situation too. :)

Prensa

vollach - Hello!

I'll be curious to know if that clears your BSOD problem. Mine certainly (fingers crossed :) ) seems gone.

After the 12.10 CCC update I got 4 - 5 BSOD's in Fallout in a couple of days. Since disabling that AMD HDMI thing I've had none & it's been a few weeks now.

I've been unable to find anyone else with this trouble in any web search.

Hope it helps your situation too. :)

Prensa

I hope so too, time will tell I guess, I'll report back with the results after I'll find the time to play the game again. probably over the weekend.