Robe Over Armor (Morrowind-Style)

lennybird

Hey guys,

One of the biggest let-downs for me in Skyrim was not being able to properly play as a battlemage. I miss having armor under my robe (as unrealistic as it may be sometimes). And I don't believe I'm alone in my interest. I've combed the internet numerous times and uncovered nothing save for initial interest back in last December. But here's the concept:

-Create another equipment slot (feasible, given that I've seen mods which allow more rings to be equipped)

-If robe/clothing is equipped in slot, remove light/heavy armor cuirass's render (yet it's still there for its attributes).

I'm unsure how feasible this method would be with Papyrus/Creation Kit, as I have no experience with either. But if nobody is willing to take up the challenge, I'd be more than willing to try if I was pointed in the right direction.

Thanks.

Edited by lennybird

There are quite a few battlemage/robe over armor mods already on the nexus. Most are done by combining one or more parts of existing armor with one or more parts of an existing robe outfit. Search the nexus for "mage armor" and you're sure to find something.

If you want DIY, your tool of choice will probably be nifscope (because you won't be doing this in the CK), a google search for "combine meshes nifscope" will show you some of the basics of doing that, and something like this should get you started with nifscope itself.

Edited by acidzebra

There are quite a few battlemage/robe over armor mods already on the nexus. Most are done by combining one or more parts of existing armor with one or more parts of an existing robe outfit. Search the nexus for "mage armor" and you're sure to find something.

If you want DIY, your tool of choice will probably be nifscope (because you won't be doing this in the CK), a google search for "combine meshes nifscope" will show you some of the basics of doing that, and something like this should get you started with nifscope itself.

These existing mods simply combine the exact outfits together, right? You thus cannot deal with the robe and armor as a separate piece and therefore cannot have separate enchantments, right? Moreover this likely limits the combinations of armor/robe/clothes types.

What I was hoping to do was create a mod that removed the rendering of the armor-piece, yet still kept it equipped to your slot. When you equip a second piece of armor for the chest slot, a dialog might prompt asking, "Do you want to place this second chest-piece beneath your currently equipped chest-slot?" or something along those lines.

Thanks for the direction and reply.

I think armor over robe would make more sense, and easier to achieve visually. The problem I see is that the robe and the armor would conflict as they would have to use the same body slots, perhaps there's a way to create an offset body slot for armor? If that's possible it would drastically raise the amount of possibilities for modders, If someone figures it out he/she wil become a nexus celebrity :)