Player houses inside don't match outside

dragonslayer2k12

I was thinking of modding proudspire manor soon and noticed that the outside did not match the inside AT ALL no chimney outside no right side of the house big enough for the inside lol it looks like a big mess. I modded breezehome recently and the only size problem was that one section on the front of the house. I haven't looked at other player houses yet with this kind of thinking but it would suck to find out that all of them have some serious size problems. With proudspire the right side can't even be fixed because the bards college is shoved up against the house and there is no room to add a right side so the housecarl can have a room and the first floor can fit and the player bedroom can fit... total mess. Now that I think about it most houses in skyrim are probably like this too not just player houses:-(

The inside is a separate worldspace and does not have to fit inside the shape of the exterior at all. The inside can be far larger and go off in directions that the outside doesn't. Just think of it a a kind of magic that works in the game world. :tongue:

Working with the CK has made me extremely tolerant of inside/outside size differences. You don't want to look at the imperial tower kit ever if this sort of thing bothers you. Just don't make it too extreme and most users won't notice. Or add a basement. Can't see underground from above.

TARDIS all over the place.

Yep, I discovered just how much of a discrepancy there is between inside and outside when I started refinishing Riftweald Manor. A full row of windows on the inside where there wasn't even a single window on the outside, exterior doors located where there couldn't possibly be a matching door on the inside, etc. It was driving me nuts for awhile, but I eventually realized that the only sane thing to do was shrug and accept that that was Skyrim. I agree with acidzebra...just don't make it too extreme. It should still seem natural if someone isn't paying too much attention.

Yeah that eternity room thing not too fond of it lol.

Just looking over the details of modding proudspire manor and noticed that for some reason the devs completely left out the start xmarkers! So instead they used that opposite of parent option so the junk and cobwebs go away when the decorate markers are enabled by the housepurchase script.

It would seem simple enough that if I just made start xmarkers I could link all the junk to the right markers and then change the scripts in the housepurchase script to use them but I am concerned that if I do that, it would mess up a save game for anyone that bought the house already. So I would have to burden the user with the additional requirement that the mod has to be used BEFORE any purchasing or entering of proudspire manor?

I used to think that proudspire was the best house in the game but after finishing two mods for breezehome I have found out that proudspire sucks! Maybe I will redo the whole thing and make it look more like the outside and just put one more floor in there for the stuff that I will have to lop off the right side (when viewed from the bottom door outside) and call it done? Only problem is where to put the stairs and also, compatiblity with hearthfire? According to uesp the childrens room is added to that space just outside the player bedroom?

Spent some time in the CK looking at proudspire inside and outside loaded two instances so I could compare them together. Looking at the outside of that house it seems like there is not even enough room to sit down in there! So some imagineering has to happen on the inside to kinda look like the outside. The main problem with the inside is the stairs. There simply is no set of stairs that will fit in a small space in there, even a set of ladders from whiterun interiors would not work. I can see a pillar that is just outside of the stairs like beth was gonna make the stairs sideways instead of straight out like they did. That works to lessen the size but it still doesn't look right because the outside of the house does not reflect the stairwell area. Someone would have to remodel the external house mesh to make that stairwell look right and there is no room for the house then because of the bards college so close next door so some other meshes would have to be remodeled too. I don't have 3d modelling programs or any knowledge of how to use them so I will have to depend on the nifs from the game files and see if I can cajigger them to look just right outside and not cut into the bards college courtyard somehow. Now if there was a circular stair well in the game files somewhere that would only take up one square floor section of space that would solve all the problems right there but probably no characters could fit on it or maybe beth thought it was too complicated for that era? Did anyone ever make a circular stair mesh around here before and release it?

I really hate the way this house looks, it is supposed to be the best player house in the game with over the top furniture and top notch interior yet it looks like a rush job.