"The Overseer's Little Friend"

DavidYokosukaJapan

I was wandering around Vault 92 and found a key sitting on the Overseer's round desk in his office. The key's name was "The Overseer's Little Friend" and when I picked it up the "Level up" music played.

Does anyone know what this key is for?

Is it part of a mod? I have a few installed. FWE, MMM, EVE to name a few.

• 1 month later...

First off, I have to say, I'm kinda surprised nobody has answered this... But then again, maybe I'm one of the few who has delved as deep as I have into the mod responsible for this 'little friend'.

To answer David Yokosuka, the key is placed there by the EVE mod. It's for a 'Secure Stash' which only be opened using that key. The music is simply for effect to let you know you've found something special! To use that key:

Look for a nearby hidden safe. Once found, inside will be an EVE-related weapon and other stuff. There are a total of 4 locations with secure stashes. I'll say no more than this unless specifically asked as I don't want to spoil it for others! Also because I had planned, at a future date, to maybe post the locations of all EVE weapons. And in case you're thinking of PM'ing me for answers, please don't as I want to do it publically or not at all (in case someone has already done this).

• 3 weeks later...

First off, I have to say, I'm kinda surprised nobody has answered this... But then again, maybe I'm one of the few who has delved as deep as I have into the mod responsible for this 'little friend'.

To answer David Yokosuka, the key is placed there by the EVE mod. It's for a 'Secure Stash' which only be opened using that key. The music is simply for effect to let you know you've found something special! To use that key:

Thanks for the reply Ranx! Wow... so EVE doesn't just add weapon effects, but also adds things to locations. Good to know!

Do you know if EVE changes creatures, people, or robots at all, like MMM?

Thanks for the reply Ranx! Wow... so EVE doesn't just add weapon effects, but also adds things to locations. Good to know!

Do you know if EVE changes creatures, people, or robots at all, like MMM?

You're welcome!

Well, I don't know if it's like MMM (never tried it), but EVE does include other changes. I don't think it affects any creatures. But it does add two new enemies to the game. The first is a Lieutenant Gutsy, who's an amped-up Sgt. Gutsy. It uses a mini-rocket launcher & plasma thrower. It also has a riot shield for increased defense. I've come across them several times - even being dropped off by a Vertibird in the DC ruins.

There is also a man (or android?) called the Enclave Enforcer. He seems like a real badass to encounter but I have yet to see him/it as I didn't add EVE to my game until I'd already finished the main storyline. He is supposed to be encountered in & around Raven Rock. But seeing as how it was already blown up by the time I added EVE to the game, I can't enter or verify.

The Enforcer has a unique armor & weapon and will use a Plasma Thrower on you. I read somewhere that he MIGHT show up if you start blasting away at Enclave comm towers found in any Enclave camp. However, for reasons unknown, when I shoot the towers absolutely nothing happens! I've looked into EVE's files and those towers are supposed to be destructible. The dishes are supposed to disappear one by one. For me, nothing happens when I shoot the tower and the Enforcer has never appeared. I thought maybe it only worked at some of the camps but I gave up trying after going to over 20 camps and no results. Maybe you'll have better luck!

If you want to see what the Enforcer looks like, delve into some of the folders created when you unpacked EVE and there's a screenshot of him and Ltnt. Gutsy in there.

Well, I don't know if it's like MMM (never tried it), but EVE does include other changes. I don't think it affects any creatures. But it does add two new enemies to the game. The first is a Lieutenant Gutsy, who's an amped-up Sgt. Gutsy. It uses a mini-rocket launcher & plasma thrower. It also has a riot shield for increased defense. I've come across them several times - even being dropped off by a Vertibird in the DC ruins.

There is also a man (or android?) called the Enclave Enforcer. He seems like a real badass to encounter but I have yet to see him/it as I didn't add EVE to my game until I'd already finished the main storyline. He is supposed to be encountered in & around Raven Rock. But seeing as how it was already blown up by the time I added EVE to the game, I can't enter or verify.

The Enforcer has a unique armor & weapon and will use a Plasma Thrower on you. I read somewhere that he MIGHT show up if you start blasting away at Enclave comm towers found in any Enclave camp. However, for reasons unknown, when I shoot the towers absolutely nothing happens! I've looked into EVE's files and those towers are supposed to be destructible. The dishes are supposed to disappear one by one. For me, nothing happens when I shoot the tower and the Enforcer has never appeared. I thought maybe it only worked at some of the camps but I gave up trying after going to over 20 camps and no results. Maybe you'll have better luck!

If you want to see what the Enforcer looks like, delve into some of the folders created when you unpacked EVE and there's a screenshot of him and Ltnt. Gutsy in there.

Morning! I've never seen the LT Gutsy, just the Enclave Enforcer and honestly I thought it was added by Mart's Mutant Mod but thinking about, it makes sense that MMM didn't add that (more on that in a moment). I'm pretty surprised you haven't tried Mart's Mutant Mod -- it really adds good content, all in the form of Fallout Lore-Compatible variety to the creatures in FO3. Anyhow, about that Enforcer...

I once saw an Enclave Enforcer between Fort Constantine and SatCom Array NN-03d. It was a

super mutant wearing enclave armor that had long spikes sticking out of the vambraces. It was pretty cool in appearance but the first thing I thought was "ahhh it must have killed an Enclave soldier and somehow enlarged the armor so it could fit because the Enclave wants to kill all "mutated creatures" in the wasteland.

EVE is pretty cool. I really like the critical deaths. They remind me of Mortal Kombat's fatalites. The coolest for me was when I was walking near Reclining Groves Resort Homes and a group of Talon Company attacked. One shot with the Fat Man and they were dead. One of them was reduced to charred bones. THAT was cool :) The Super Mutant crits are also GREAT! (when they actually work right)

I wish there was an option to fix (get rid of) the "pulsing, shiny glow" on energy weapons. Too "Quake 3" for my taste. :down: A Google search for getting rid of that didn't work so I just gave up on it. I consider "time used looking for how to fix things" as time wasted when I could've been playing the game instead. There was also this wierd glitch with some crit kills leaving half-translucent bodies on the ground with electricity sparks when things got crit-killed by the Pulse Rifle. Some crit kills left a half-melted blobs on the ground with corrupted textures so it almost looked cool. I could tell it was trying to make some cool crit-death but it got messed up somehow before it finished... so fail. A few other graphic glitches... anyhow, even using a Merged Patch and a few other mod-fix patches didn't work, nor did uninstalling and reinstalling it and Fallout 3 seemed to CTD a lot so I had to opt for a clean reinstall, and now just use FWE, MMM, Dynamic Weather, and Ironsights. Much more stable than before but still CTD every now and then on a regular basis (always after passing level 10 or 11 for some reason).

Well apologies for this half turning into a rant. Honestly I wish ALL mods would play nice with each other. I do miss those shredder grenades :confused: Oh well. At least Fallout 3 is still fun regardless, right?! :thumbsup:

Morning! I've never seen the LT Gutsy, just the Enclave Enforcer and honestly I thought it was added by Mart's Mutant Mod but thinking about, it makes sense that MMM didn't add that (more on that in a moment). I'm pretty surprised you haven't tried Mart's Mutant Mod -- it really adds good content, all in the form of Fallout Lore-Compatible variety to the creatures in FO3. Anyhow, about that Enforcer...

I once saw an Enclave Enforcer between Fort Constantine and SatCom Array NN-03d. It was a

super mutant wearing enclave armor that had long spikes sticking out of the vambraces. It was pretty cool in appearance but the first thing I thought was "ahhh it must have killed an Enclave soldier and somehow enlarged the armor so it could fit because the Enclave wants to kill all "mutated creatures" in the wasteland.

EVE is pretty cool. I really like the critical deaths. They remind me of Mortal Kombat's fatalites. The coolest for me was when I was walking near Reclining Groves Resort Homes and a group of Talon Company attacked. One shot with the Fat Man and they were dead. One of them was reduced to charred bones. THAT was cool :) The Super Mutant crits are also GREAT! (when they actually work right)

I wish there was an option to fix (get rid of) the "pulsing, shiny glow" on energy weapons. Too "Quake 3" for my taste. :down: A Google search for getting rid of that didn't work so I just gave up on it. I consider "time used looking for how to fix things" as time wasted when I could've been playing the game instead. There was also this wierd glitch with some crit kills leaving half-translucent bodies on the ground with electricity sparks when things got crit-killed by the Pulse Rifle. Some crit kills left a half-melted blobs on the ground with corrupted textures so it almost looked cool. I could tell it was trying to make some cool crit-death but it got messed up somehow before it finished... so fail. A few other graphic glitches... anyhow, even using a Merged Patch and a few other mod-fix patches didn't work, nor did uninstalling and reinstalling it and Fallout 3 seemed to CTD a lot so I had to opt for a clean reinstall, and now just use FWE, MMM, Dynamic Weather, and Ironsights. Much more stable than before but still CTD every now and then on a regular basis (always after passing level 10 or 11 for some reason).

Well apologies for this half turning into a rant. Honestly I wish ALL mods would play nice with each other. I do miss those shredder grenades :confused: Oh well. At least Fallout 3 is still fun regardless, right?! :thumbsup:

I can't be bothered with MMM because I'm not crazy about these massive DLs. I don't have good luck with them at the best of times. They usually either they get truncated or corrupted and so I stopped trying to DL them awhile ago.

Are you sure it was actually an Enforcer and not just a Super Mutant Overlord? The Enforcer's armor is unique from head-to-toe and his race, according to FO3Edit's report is Asian but with the Sentrybot's voice. The helmet has horns bent forward like a bull is another way to tell. And was he carrying unique items like the Enforcer gauntlet and Babe Magnet shades?

And yes, the critical kills are pretty cool... The 'Call to Atom' pulse weapon kill rates pretty high, whether you're close or far away when it executes. I've yet to see the Fatman ones basically because I keep forgetting to lug one of those things around!

The only times I've noticed the pulsing weapon thing that I've seen others complain about was after I added them to the Underground Hideout's weapon wall. But it only affects some of the weapons (laser ones?) which I stopped using once better ones came along so can't help you there. Apparently, WJS the creator, liked the effect so it stayed in.

As for glitches, it may be conflicts with other mods or improper/incomplete installs that may be causing your problems. I experienced a similar thing awhile back when some of the new weapons looked the same as before the install. It turned out that a number of other mods I had going were conflicting with EVE and when I dumped them, all was well. To figure out which ones, I used FO3Edit and loaded all mods into it to check the records. Remember that EVE affects more than just weapons... It makes changes to critical deaths, explosions and other things. So mods that you think are harmless may not actually be. As an example, one mod I had was for more realistic explosions - it was conflicting with EVE's explosions. Another gave Deputy Weld a sheriff's hat and badge. Turned out that EVE does this too so I didn't even need that other mod. See my point? Your choice if you want to run EVE or not though. Just making you aware!

:D

I can't be bothered with MMM because I'm not crazy about these massive DLs. I don't have good luck with them at the best of times. They usually either they get truncated or corrupted and so I stopped trying to DL them awhile ago.

Are you sure it was actually an Enforcer and not just a Super Mutant Overlord? The Enforcer's armor is unique from head-to-toe and his race, according to FO3Edit's report is Asian but with the Sentrybot's voice. The helmet has horns bent forward like a bull is another way to tell. And was he carrying unique items like the Enforcer gauntlet and Babe Magnet shades?

And yes, the critical kills are pretty cool... The 'Call to Atom' pulse weapon kill rates pretty high, whether you're close or far away when it executes. I've yet to see the Fatman ones basically because I keep forgetting to lug one of those things around!

The only times I've noticed the pulsing weapon thing that I've seen others complain about was after I added them to the Underground Hideout's weapon wall. But it only affects some of the weapons (laser ones?) which I stopped using once better ones came along so can't help you there. Apparently, WJS the creator, liked the effect so it stayed in.

As for glitches, it may be conflicts with other mods or improper/incomplete installs that may be causing your problems. I experienced a similar thing awhile back when some of the new weapons looked the same as before the install. It turned out that a number of other mods I had going were conflicting with EVE and when I dumped them, all was well. To figure out which ones, I used FO3Edit and loaded all mods into it to check the records. Remember that EVE affects more than just weapons... It makes changes to critical deaths, explosions and other things. So mods that you think are harmless may not actually be. As an example, one mod I had was for more realistic explosions - it was conflicting with EVE's explosions. Another gave Deputy Weld a sheriff's hat and badge. Turned out that EVE does this too so I didn't even need that other mod. See my point? Your choice if you want to run EVE or not though. Just making you aware!

Yea that Fat Man's heavy, but when I come across a group of baddies that are like 5 strong and unload one mini-nuke it looks Sooo Cool especially if I can do it in VATS!! It's like SHwoooosh, DING! KABOOOM and then "+268 XP" is displayed in the corner, it's lovely like a nice sunny day :wub: I see that and just smiiiiile

On the Enforcer I remember it shocked me because it was called "Enclave Enforcer" and had the armor.. well modified Enclave armor. But the guy was green skinned where the armor wasnt covering, and it was large so I thought.. super mutant. Maybe the Enforcer Gauntlet was the "long spikes on the forearms" I described last post. It was definitely called Enclave Enforcer.

Anyhow it's funny I have time to download these huge files and install mods as long as it's FOMM ready or simply "Unzip into Data folder and select in FOMM" but I don't have the time to delve into these arcane FO3editing this and that. I use the "automatic method" ... you know: run FO3edit, right-click and select Create Merged Patch, save, put into load order and play. I read the FO3edit manual and got lost in the part where it was about looking at columns that showed RED where there were conflicts. I didn't understand how to delete or overwrite the crap you didn't want so the stuff you did want to keep would stay. All this editing this and that.. I figure that's time wasted that could've been time gaming. What do you think?

It's kinda why after installing EVE and getting crazy CTDs allll the time I uninstalled all mods in FOMM, deleted the entire data folder (which I backed up before installing any mods) and then just re-installed FWE, MMM, Dynamic weather, and DC Interiors. Problem solved. Now the occasional CTD but nowhere near as common as before. I guess I'm just a basic gamer-user, not a super-gamer-file-editor god.

Yea on that note... I wish that WJS gave OPTIONS on the install the way that MMM and FWE makers did, you know, unselect the things you don't want and only install the aspects you want installed. I mean.. with EVE you are forced to install ALL or Nothing. That's like Communism or something. :rolleyes: Call me selfish but we are living in a Burger King world where we all expect to get things the way we want it, not "how the vendor made it," right? That's why McDonald's keeps changing their menu and Subway never had to :thumbsup:

Oh man, I'm sorry, I started ranting :sweat:

Yea that Fat Man's heavy, but when I come across a group of baddies that are like 5 strong and unload one mini-nuke it looks Sooo Cool especially if I can do it in VATS!! It's like SHwoooosh, DING! KABOOOM and then "+268 XP" is displayed in the corner, it's lovely like a nice sunny day :wub: I see that and just smiiiiile

On the Enforcer I remember it shocked me because it was called "Enclave Enforcer" and had the armor.. well modified Enclave armor. But the guy was green skinned where the armor wasnt covering, and it was large so I thought.. super mutant. Maybe the Enforcer Gauntlet was the "long spikes on the forearms" I described last post. It was definitely called Enclave Enforcer.

Anyhow it's funny I have time to download these huge files and install mods as long as it's FOMM ready or simply "Unzip into Data folder and select in FOMM" but I don't have the time to delve into these arcane FO3editing this and that. I use the "automatic method" ... you know: run FO3edit, right-click and select Create Merged Patch, save, put into load order and play. I read the FO3edit manual and got lost in the part where it was about looking at columns that showed RED where there were conflicts. I didn't understand how to delete or overwrite the crap you didn't want so the stuff you did want to keep would stay. All this editing this and that.. I figure that's time wasted that could've been time gaming. What do you think?

It's kinda why after installing EVE and getting crazy CTDs allll the time I uninstalled all mods in FOMM, deleted the entire data folder (which I backed up before installing any mods) and then just re-installed FWE, MMM, Dynamic weather, and DC Interiors. Problem solved. Now the occasional CTD but nowhere near as common as before. I guess I'm just a basic gamer-user, not a super-gamer-file-editor god.

Yea on that note... I wish that WJS gave OPTIONS on the install the way that MMM and FWE makers did, you know, unselect the things you don't want and only install the aspects you want installed. I mean.. with EVE you are forced to install ALL or Nothing. That's like Communism or something. :rolleyes: Call me selfish but we are living in a Burger King world where we all expect to get things the way we want it, not "how the vendor made it," right? That's why McDonald's keeps changing their menu and Subway never had to :thumbsup:

Oh man, I'm sorry, I started ranting :sweat:

About the Enforcer, just checking... If you're sure it was, I'm not going to argue with you. I just wanted to check because I'm kinda surprised you stumbled into one! I've been all over the Wasteland and hung around Raven Rock a few times looking to tangle with one of these guys but no luck so far. He may be scripted to appear somewhere but as far as cell placement, he's only supposed to be inside & at the exterior of Raven Rock. I think I might just COC back inside there one day just to check him out!

As for wasting time editing when you could have been gaming, I think a bit of time spent tooling under the hood keeps the engine running - get my drift?! Wouldn't you rather know which mods are conflicting yourself than spending oodles of time re-installing this and that and trolling forums looking for answers? I shake my head at these people who re-install the entire game when some little problem pops its head up!

I can only guess at WJS's motives but MAYBE he did it the way he did because it IS all or nothing. The way all the parts have to work together may be that way for a reason? But yeah, options are always nice!

About the Enforcer, just checking... If you're sure it was, I'm not going to argue with you. I just wanted to check because I'm kinda surprised you stumbled into one! I've been all over the Wasteland and hung around Raven Rock a few times looking to tangle with one of these guys but no luck so far. He may be scripted to appear somewhere but as far as cell placement, he's only supposed to be inside & at the exterior of Raven Rock. I think I might just COC back inside there one day just to check him out!

As for wasting time editing when you could have been gaming, I think a bit of time spent tooling under the hood keeps the engine running - get my drift?! Wouldn't you rather know which mods are conflicting yourself than spending oodles of time re-installing this and that and trolling forums looking for answers? I shake my head at these people who re-install the entire game when some little problem pops its head up!

I can only guess at WJS's motives but MAYBE he did it the way he did because it IS all or nothing. The way all the parts have to work together may be that way for a reason? But yeah, options are always nice!

I remember being shocked at seeing this thing from a distance I thought was a heavily armored super mutant. but ..maybe im wrong because i do game drunk at times. That being said, I remember the shock I felt at seeing the text "Enclave Enforcer" when I targeted this thing in VATS.

But my EVE was very glitchy,and CTDed a lot more often when outdoors than in. So maybe it being at that location was a glitch.

I agree with to an extent on editing, but I'm one of those guys who takes my car to the shop for any maintenance and pays an expert to do it because I honestly can't be bothered. Call me lazy or whatever but I'm happy to pay an expert to perform any maintenance because I know it'll have been done right. In the meantime I can knockout grocery shopping for dinner or some other chore. If there was a "Fallout mod game tweaker" here in the Tokyo/Yokohama area, I'd gladly pay this guy $40 per hour to fix it, and in the meantime I'd do something else like maybe go for a run. :thumbsup:

Yea all or nothing. Maybe all the parts are needed for it to work right. But still makes me shake my head and wonder why because those systems just don't work for me :no: