Running in to lots of issues using mods, please help!

Evilllamas

Hi

I'v recently been trying to take advantage of the huge array of awesome mods available for skyrim.

But I'v been running in to all sorts of problems, the main one is that the default load order manager seems to be broken, and won't let me turn mods on or off, or re-arrange them.

A possibly related problem, is that save games are being corrupted when I try to activate or de-activate save's, another issue, less of a problem, is merging levelled lists for different weapons mods with wyrebash, I follow tutorials and nothing works, options are greyed out etc, the final issue is skse not working, it says my skyrim is out of date, it isn't.

I'm intending to start modding afresh with a new install, and newly downloaded mods, and all the correct programs.

I'm intending to use Nexus Mod Manager, BOSS, Wyrebash and SKSE.

The gameplay mods I want to install are:

Duel combat realism

some ACE modules (melee, enchanting, smithing)

Some parts of `Path of shadows` (a stealth overhaul).

ASIS (makes npc's use magic and spells etc)

Apocaylse magic (adds spells).

To Merge the leveled lists etc of Weapons of the third era, morrowind armours, immersive armours jaysus swords and realswords

Follower Stealth AI overhaul

SkyUI

Artifact balance overhaul

Graphics Mods:

Realstic Colours and Realstic Nights

WATER

Realstic Force/ Improved ragdolls

better blood textures

Get snow (snow lands on characters)

Verts flaura overhaul

Lush trees and Lush Grass

Static Mesh Improvement

Ruins Clutter Improvement

And a few minor re-textures etc

This all seems to be fairly standard stuff, and I imagine many people use similar mods.

If anyone has any advice or links to good tutorials on using wyre bash for merging lists etc (the one's I had a look at didn't work.), or can see anything which may be causing problems in my mod list above, or any other advice really, it would be much appreciated.

I'v been driven up the wall by these crashes and constant re-modding of my game etc.

Thanks!

The best way when installing a lot of mods is doing them a few at a time, so if one gives you a problem you will have a shorter list of which one it is. I have Jaysus Swords, and used to have Weapons of the Third Era, and Morrwind Armor installed and they never gave me a problem. The others, probably the best thing to do is check compatibility in the mod description. That and make sure your computer can handle it, If I installed all of the graphics mods my computer would lag bad ( I using an 07 acer aspire with 10 gigs left on my harddrive and only 3 gigs of ddr2 ram).

This is from the Steam Forums (Courtesy of SuperBoyOfMeat), but it's worth quoting here as well:

You may be able to salvage a corrupted save with some hard work. When I say hard, I mean be prepared to learn a bit about how Skyrim works. (Back up your saves and mods before doing this, this is worst-case scenario solution).

Corrupted saves in nearly every case are caused by Papyrus being flooded with bad functions from old, dirty, or non-existent scripts. You need to find these scripts your save is relying on, and overwrite them with empty scripts so the functions stop firing and causing issues in your save.

To do this, enable papyrus logging throughout the Skyrim.ini in MyGames/Skyrim folder

Change the following values from 0 to 1 for these commands in the .ini file

Code:

bEnableLogging

bEnableTrace

bLoadDebugInformation

This will create a new folder in your MyGame/Skyrim/ location, it will be called the Logs folder, with another folder named Scripts in it. Every time you play the game, the game will write a new script to this file location and give you a log of errors that occur as you play.

To make it easier to read and understand, use Notepad++

Now, play for a bit until you crash, then open the folder and open the new "Papyrus0" file in there. Read through the errors, the errors will all tell you what script they originate from (look for SomeScriptName.pex in the log lines). There will be some naturally from the game which can be easily spotted with funky naming schemes like MQ1012348C43, ignore these errors and look for ones that are obviously mod related. Most modders name their scripts after their work, like MyHouseMod.pex, and as such if there is an issue with that script it will show MyHouseMod.pex as throwing up an issue.

Write down all the scripts throwing up errors, and load up the Creation Kit.

Make a new mod, go to some random interior (QASmoke is the best) and place a random item in it. Edit that item and go to the scripts tab. Now, look for those scripts causing issue. If they aren't there (they likely won't be) Create a new one with the exact same name as one throwing up errors.

Now, if you open a script, remove everything except the first line which should be the script's name. Then add this one line under the name

Code:

;This script does nothing!

Then, save the script and compile it.

Do this for all the scripts giving your save loads of errors, and the next time you launch the game the errors returned in your save file should cease.

Do note, this is extremely risky, only do it for mod added scripts, and make sure you aren't using those mods if you do this to their scripts. Also note, that for some mods throwing out errors in the Papyrus0 log is okay, and you needn't be worried if you see a few error lines from only one mod.

Like I said, this is a worst case scenario fix, but it should help if you really don't want to just start over (which you should really /: )

@JanusForbeare: ^^ that procedure simply won't work, it is nonsense - I tried it myself. When Papyrus detects that a script has been changed it continues to run the image of the old script function that is saved in the savegame. It even prints a trace message that it is doing so in the log. As noted above, that procedure is "extremely risky" - it will break the scripts on other objects that used the same script but which were not broken.

@Evillamas: Skyrim Troubleshooting Guide

Edited by steve40

Thanks for the help.

I'v got Boss, NMM and Wry bash all functional now, I had been having issues with hidden/ read only files etc.

I'll install the mods one by one when I get the chance.

My computer is easly up to the task of the mods, I'v got a gtx 580 with 1.5gb Vram an i7 and 6gb of ddr3.

Edited by Evilllamas