ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Dwemer Auto Opening Lock Device

TigersEye101

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this?

I AM GOING TO MAKE THIS!

With the help of some friends I have decided to move forward with this mod, but if you like the idea keep an eye out for it on the Nexus.

On my current character I am playing as an archaeologist who is obsessed with Dwemer artifacts. As I was going through and leveling my smithing I realized the problem with smithing is everything you make is permanent. Also I was having to level my lock picking to open chests and doors. So my thought was kill two birds with one stone. A device crafted out of Dwemer lore. The device attaches to chests and doors and unlocks them for you. These would be one time use and have different versions for each difficulty of lock. Also the higher level devices would have to be backwards compatible. This wouldn't be out of place at all since it fits in perfect with the lore. It would not be overpowered since each time you went out you would have to take a number of them with you. This would help you level your smithing and solve the problem for non thief characters who want to open chests or doors.

The mod creator would have several hurdles to jump, but I think this would make a great addition to Skyrim.

Some thought would have to be taken into how the scaling would work. I think starting at iron and working your way up would work great, but also having added components like gears crafted out of iron that can be used at every level.

There is an alt for casters found here Open and Lock Spells

I'm not sure how open this mod creator is but with a few additions I could see this mod working perfectly with his.

Edited by TigersEye101

I have thought a lot more about this mod and decided that I would really like to make it. I have further outlined my idea below. I can model/texture all the items that would be added, but I would need some one else to do the scripting. I would be fine with someone else posting and just giving me credit. I also outlined my ideas in a word doc that anyone who is interested can take a look at.

How it works

The item works by clicking it in your inventory. This will bring you out of your inventory and bring up a pulsating cursor like when you tell a follower to do something. After that you select the chest you want to open and a menu will appear. The menu has two options “Use Device” or “Cancel.” After you select an option the device will either be used to open the chest and be removed from your inventory or you have canceled the action. The items would be found under Misc in your inventory. No smithing tree perks will be added, but to craft each core you will need to have the smithing perk that corresponds with the core.

Items to add

1. Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device (Novice)

1) Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device Core (Iron)

2) 1 Lockpick

3) Dwemer Gear Small

4) Dwemer Gyro Small

5) Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device Parts

2. Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device (Apprentice)

1) Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device Core (Steel)

2) 2 Lockpicks

3) Dwemer Gear Small

4) Dwemer Gyro Small

3. Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device (Adept)

1) Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device Core (Dwarven)

2) 3 Lockpicks

3) Dwemer Gear Small

4) Dwemer Gyro Small

4. Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device (Expert)

1) Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device Core (Orichalcum)

2) 4 Lockpicks

3) Dwemer Gear Small

4) Dwemer Gyro Small

5. Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device (Master)

1) Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device Core (Ebony)

2) 5 Lockpicks

3) Dwemer Gear Small

4) Dwemer Gyro Small

6. Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device Core (Iron)

1) 1 Iron Ingot

7. Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device Core (Steel)

2) 1 Steel Ingot

8. Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device Core (Dwarven)

3) 1 Dwarven Metal Ingot

9. Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device Core (Orichalcum)

4) 1 Orichalcum Ingot

10. Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device Core (Ebony)

5) 1 Ebony Ingot

11. Dwemer Gear Small

1) 1 Dwarven Metal Ingot

12. Dwemer Gyro Small

2) 1 Dwarven Metal Ingot

13. Dwemer Auto Lock Picking Device Parts

3) 1 Dwarven Metal Ingot

Sorry about the post layout, but you can view my game doc on google docs HERE

Looks like you've given this a lot of thought, good luck. I normally play a thief type because I can't stand the sight of unopened locks (lol), but I wouldn't mind smithing a lockpicking tool - not really choosy HOW the locks get opened, as long as it gets done.

I assume due to the weight, cost, and effort required to smith these things, that they'd always work, assuming they're high enough level for a particular lock? Also, one-shot use devices right? Imho there aren't that many high level locks and the low level ones can be picked even by a barely-skilled player.