Computer upgrade question.

Ok so I started playing skyrim and the computer I have just isn't cutting it. More to the point the graphics card is complete crap. My budget isn't huge but I want the game to look good and preform well too.

This is the PC I have: PC link

Interior Pic of PC from a random person: PC Guts

I would like to use the GTX 550 Ti 2GB GDDR5: Graphics Card

I know I need a better power supply cuz the one I have is only 300 watt and the card needs like 400 watt at least.

I saw this one: Cheaper Supply

But am willing to go with this one: Alt Supply

What I would like to know before spending the money is this; Would this card and either of those power supplies work together? If not what power supply would be necessary? (if 500 watt isn't enough or those particular supplies don't work with that card).

I really want to be able to run the game smoothly while maintaining decent graphics.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Edited by PullThePin07

1) You missed the best time to buy these. Black Friday-to-Cyber Monday was just last week.

For instance this was just 39.99 at that time!

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Stallion-Series-ATX12V-RD500-2DB/dp/B004GL9NVG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1354398910&sr=8-12&keywords=500W+power+supply

You know better now.

2) If you want to take a little chance with less expensive power supplies this is where you go:

http://www.evertek.com/products.asp?cat=PWR

3) Take a look at the power connections to your motherboard! Count the pins. Check with PSU mfr websites to make sure you get one that matches. This is from a review of YOUR choice:

Only complaint, which is really more a lack of foresight on my part, is that there were no actual instructions in the box. The one thing that would have been super handy to know is that if you have a 4 prong ATX12V motherboard plug, you have to take the 8 prong plug this comes with and split it in half. They clearly explain this on their website, but that is harder to access with your power supply out and halfway replaced :).

4) Also make sure the PSU you buy has a PCIe power connector. Also called a 6-pin graphics card connector.

Take care!

I would guess that the 300W psu is enough for 550ti, the manufacturer "recommendations" are nothing but insurance against whiners who are using chinese junk-PSU that cant give the promised W (ie. when you try to draw 450W out of 550W power, it blows up).

And you should check this article to find the perfect gpu.

So a 7750/7770 card would be best for your old pc. 7750 doesnt even require extra power from PSU --> no need to buy a new PSU.

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7750_IceQ_X/images/perfrel_1920.gif

Edited by kalikka

What about this card: GTX 650 TI 2 GB

Would that work better? and with my current Power supply or is the 7750 still the better option?

the chart above shows it at 40% better than HD 7750. I think that would make a difference and it says its only 400 watt like the 7750 so less power needed plus the 40% looks good, but I'm not that tech smart when it comes to some of this stuff and want to know if that'll work with the humble rig I have or more upgrades are required.

Thanks so much for the info. btw.

Edited by PullThePin07

Ok, so hopefully these will be my last questions. I feel like I'm starting to be a bother :sweat:

1. Why would I need more power for the 650 ti than the 7750? This page says that the 7750 only needs 400 watt and this page says that the 650 ti only needs 400 watt. So, with them being equal in power needs wouldn't it make sense that if one would work the other would too. I'm just curious as what makes the difference.

2. If I get the 650 ti I am planning on getting this power supply. Will that be ok?

3. Whats the difference in these 2 cards and would the more expensive be worth it? card1 card2

I really appreciate the time you guys are taking to help me. I'm a poor college kid and just don't have the knowledge I need for this kinda thing. I think the above will work but I just don't want to spend that kinda money and then be out.

Edited by PullThePin07

1 The power rating is bull it takes in to account very bad power supply's.

The 7750 gets all its power from the motherboard, the 650ti needs an extra 6pin power connector which your power supply doesn't have.

2 You need a good 450W power supply like the XFX

3 The first one is faster and is cheaper :teehee:

@pullthepin07

id get a PSU thats also suitable for my CPU that one in your final link is for intels according to its spec and if i read right your mobo is a AMD FM2 socket ? the wattage on the socket is way higher for an AMD than an Intel based machine.