Dragonborn coming tomorrow to Xbox LIVE. Coming to PS3 and PC early 20

daventry

35 members have voted

1. 1. What Platform are you

• PC
    • Xbox
    • PS3

It seems pretty clear that Bethesda wants to develop for the xbox now. I think it's a shame really, because I hate console gaming and it's effect on pc games. It feels bad to play a game developed on a pc from a series of pc games that is essentially a console-to-pc port (molasses slow UI and dumbed down fetch quests). The fact that the console version is getting expansion priority is just accentuating this feeling. I can't say I feel betrayed, as Bethesda is a company and it's just sniffing out money, but I feel let down - being directly shown that I'm no longer in the target market.

What I'm getting out of this is that Bethesda cares more about profit than it's pc audience. That's fine, but I think that they should strive to keep their pc audience happy and intact. Their 1 month exclusivity deal with microsoft is slowly breeding resentment, and I find it generally tacky and distasteful. This is worsened by the way they ham it up with hollow platitudes about "[making sure it works properly]" as if waiting will benefit us in any clear way.

I really like Dawngaurd, but as an experience it was ruined by the buggy lackluster mess of a follower Seranwrap, who's plastic personality began to stretch thin and tear at the edges, while her poor voice acting and glitched dialogue did NOT stay fresh. They had a month to fix that (at least the repeated passive dialogue bugs).

It's not that I think they're lying when they say they'll try to use the month productively, but when they claim that the month+ wait exist for the purpose of QA, while their MS deal is clearly documented, I think they're being extremely dishonest

Edited by h0rsel0ver

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys I envy you really. You are arguing about Bethesda releasing Dragonborn a month later. And I and people from Czech rep, Poland and probably Russia can only laugh, because thanks to Cenega we get the mod not one month, but more than half a year later after the release of PC version. Now talk about ridiculous releases and distribution.

This is not Beth fault btw, it's the distributor. God I hate them.

And even though I am playing English version and I don't care about any translation, they still won't allow me to buy it from steam.

Same thing happened with New Vegas last mod and same thing now happens with Skyrim. I don't want to buy bloody box for every DLC .... that's why it is called DLC!

Edited by Bunik

How often are we going to hear this drama repeated? Bethesda is a corporation. Does anyone expect that they will sacrifice potential profits for some imagined "greater good" (which is really only in the minds of PC users)? The PC user base is small compared to the Xbox user base. They are doing what makes sense from a business perspective. And they may still be bound by the contractual agreement with MS to have an exclusive release on Xbox for at least 30 days. Seriously. Having various people come on here over and over acting like their feelings are hurt is silly melodrama. The message has been delivered. We get it. Just buy the game when it's available, and enjoy it. Or not. If any of you are Xbox users, let us (PC players) know how it goes (without spoilers please).

How often are we going to hear this drama repeated? Bethesda is a corporation. Does anyone expect that they will sacrifice potential profits for some imagined "greater good" (which is really only in the minds of PC users)? The PC user base is small compared to the Xbox user base. They are doing what makes sense from a business perspective. And they may still be bound by the contractual agreement with MS to have an exclusive release on Xbox for at least 30 days. Seriously. Having various people come on here over and over acting like their feelings are hurt is silly melodrama. The message has been delivered. We get it. Just buy the game when it's available, and enjoy it. Or not. If any of you are Xbox users, let us (PC players) know how it goes (without spoilers please).

Problem is is that the PC user base is the one that still exists nearly a decade after the fact. I don't know anyone other than myself that plays Morrowind on the Xbox anymore (and thats only because I can't give up on the 3000 hour character i have on it :P ) but I know plenty that still play Morrowind on the PC. Same with Oblivion. And it will be the same with Skyrim. Though perhaps less so with Skyrim. It really depends on what next gen actually does for TES. If we finally see the leap forward (With none taken back) that we've been waiting for on the PC, then perhaps Skyrim will remained largely unplayed on most platforms as the next TES game completely outclasses it both in modding potential and its general difference in being next-gen and not constrained by the ancient piece of crud that is the 360/PS3. Either way though, the point stands. The PC user base is what keeps TES games alive decades after their release. What other game series can honestly say that multiple games in the series are continuing to be played decades after their original release, and in fair numbers as well?

The result of this fact being that while the console base may be strong at first, it eventually dwindles into nothing. The PC base lasts far longer and indeed for TES at least, a lot of it actually stays afloat perpetually. Despite Arena and Daggerfall (and the smaller spin-off games for that matter) having been folded into that metaphorical shelf for nothing more than just plain being too old, there are still some out there playing it. I know I still load up Daggerfall now and then (Arena I never actually got into), and it isn't always because of nostalgia but a pure desire to actually play the game.

Personally I have no problem with Beth catering to the consoles when designing the game. I just only wish that they would allow modders complete and total free reign to completely do anything they want. To completely change the way the game(engine) works so that, even if Beth doesn't want to create a truly PC-focused innovative RPG (like they used to strive for), modders at least can pick up the slack and put in those things that Beth decides against doing themselves.

At that point, all I would ever ask of Beth is that they keep the lore the same as its always been, deep and actually interesting.

Edited by imperistan

Ick, ick, ick, I need to find myself a new x-mas present since Dragonborn is commin sooooo much later.

Personally I prefer to play most games on PC (cause often I and others can mod them)

They do still have the agreement with microsoft. This isn't about a "greater good", it's the fact that they're disingenuous about their priorities - they claim that the release delay is for quality assurance ("... each platform takes time and attention."), when in reality it's just a necessity of their contract. That's a bad way to treat a portion of your consumer base, and it's dishonest public relations.

As far as the "[pc gamer entitlement]" rhetoric, the general impression I come away with is that Bethesda thinks it's too big to fail - they're willing to disenfranchise a portion of their fans in the pursuit of profit. I understand that not everyone can be pleased when it comes to gameplay, but it would have been pretty easy to please people in terms of accessibility. Exclusivity on the xbox doesn't increase Bethesda's overall sales, it just improves their relationship with microsoft.

I'm reminded of the adage "PC gaming is dying". If you release games according to that assumption, you will have no reason to prioritize the PC market. In turn the PC market gets slower and shoddier releases. It's a cyclical self-feeding process that serves to atrophy a potential market, and I would call that bad business.

In conclusion - Personally, I don't feel betrayed, my feelings aren't hurt; because Bethesda is an impersonal entity that is not targeting me as an individual. I feel excluded and marginalized because I'm a member of an off-center demographic, and as an observer I think that cheesy closed door content deals are harmful to corporate-consumer relations.