New Mobo / CPU

So it's that time again when my computer needs an upgrade and since I've been out of the loop for quite some time, I've kind of lost track of the best value for money hardware.

I'm looking for a new mobo with at least 3 pci3.0 slots and a decent processor.

I've been considering this >>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-INTEL-SIX-CORE-I7-3930K-CPU-ASUS-RAMPAGE-EXTREME-X79-MOTHERBOARD-COMBO-KIT-/350564525600?pt=US_Motherboard_CPU_Combos&hash=item519f462620#ht_4183wt_1163

What do you guys think, is it worth the cash, too expensive or a steal. Is it overkill, too little or just right for high end gaming?

Also what may sound like a stupid question (but as I said I haven't been keeping track of hardware for some time) what is that black box, with a fan in the bottom left of the mobo?

Edited by Squizzo

3930k is for high-end editing/rending/torturing your CPU.

Or for insane 3-4 way SLI/xfire setups....

Basically 3930k doesnt give any performance boost over 3570k in gaming.

In a nutshell: Its overkill, steal and silly. All at the same time.

3570k (or 3770k if you do lots of editing/CPU heavy stuff) + Z77 extreme4 is more than enough for a gaming rig. Even the extreme4 is overkill if you arent going to OC.

Edited by kalikka

I'd avoid the LGA2011 CPUs and motherboards unless you do a lot of editing, encoding, rendering, or work as a software engineer or a programmer with that gaming. LGA2011 CPUs are, for the most part, Xeon server CPUs with their second QPI disabled to prevent use in a dual CPU rig. Also, the Rampage IV Extreme is more for overclockers that use liquid nitrogen or liquid helium to break benchmark records. The Rampage IV Formula is more of the gaming motherboard especially if you are going to stick to an integrated sound chip. Finally, most games don't utilize all six cores of the i7-3930k. It would be much better to go with an LGA1155 Z77 motherboard with the i5-3570k that everyone else recommended and save up to or more than $200 for a prosible sli/crossfire configuration or just a better video card.