Dropping to desktop after title

Riejckaert

OK I loaded up some new mods today off the nexus and now I cant play the game. I have gone through the NMM and disabled each of the mods I loaded and still it doesnt work. Never had an issue with NMM before. Boss doesnt do jack, it says I need to clean some mods and includes the dawnguard plugin with that, shouldnt Steam update that if theres a problem? It also doesnt do anything to tell me which plugins should be in which order. I have went through and deleted quite a few mods I rarely used or that didnt work for whatever reason. I am not highly skilled at this, if it doesnt automatically load once activated on NMM I wont use it and usually in the discussion area people are fairly rude to people who dont know how to do stuff, read the front discussion page on the Fiores new idles mod for an example. I have limited time to play so spending it getting frustrated at a system that should be self regulating is rather annoying. How can I fix this?

1. Never, ever, add more than one new mod at a time to an ongoing game. Doing so will cause you problems. Every time. It is not NMM's fault.

2. No Steam will not auto update Dawnguard with a cleaner version. Bethesda has a history of releasing 'dirty' mods/dlc's, you can clean it yourself if you know how (though I'm assuming you don't) you can download the Unofficial Dawnguard patch which includes some fixes or you can play it as is (dirty edits in official mods/dlc's are unlikely to ruin your game).

3. Download and install Wrye Smash/Bash/Mash (put "wrye" in the search to find the current version for your game) read the included readme on how to locate missing masters from your save game or other wise repair a broken save and follow the instructions. Or there's always option 4.

4. Give up and try starting an entirely new game with all your current mods loaded. If it works, then proceed carefully while keeping in mind rule #1.

5. Yes, these steps are rather curt but I can't (nor would I want to) diagnose exactly what is wrong with your game without a lot more information than you've given (what mods, exactly, did you install; what mods were you using prior to installing the new mods; have you tried loading or creating a clean save; have you tried starting a new game; have you searched the release threads of the mods you installed looking for similar problems or conflicts you can address on your own.)

Despite the release of 'one click' modding thanks to NMM, modding your game is not actually easy. I'd suggest coming to grips with that before installing more mods. So that when you encounter a problem, you're prepared to put the work in necessary to solve your issues.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Edited by Oubliette

I would be happy to start a new game but it wont get past the opening title screen without dropping me to desktop. I could care less about my saved games, they just keep taking up space anyway. Half tempted to delete the whole game and redownload everything from steam and then load the mods I want from scratch. grrr

One common cause of crashes on startup is missing a required master file .esm...for example I have NPC mods installed that require ApachiiHair.esm so without that required master file my game would crash on startup. I suggest looking at the download pages for the recently installed mods and look for any required mods the ones you installed require. You could also disable all the recent mods and try re-enabling them one by one until you find the problem(s). Oubliette's rule number one is a good rule...if you only add one mod at a time and theres a problem you know where to look.