How do I create a powerful character?!

Parmgrin

Uhmm... I hope this doesn't sound too stupid but my character is a complete weakling... I am trying to play as a pure mage (with just a few perks at pickpocketing; to pickpocket some of my teachers), but it just doesn't seem to work. At first, I used only Destruction - my character would easily get defeated when enemies came near to me... Then I started using Conjuration and Illusion... And I got to level 41, with Master Illusion Spells and Expert level Destruction Spells; even so, I'd still get owned in a shot or a two (I keep some distance, but many use bows). Then, after completing Discerning the Transmundane, I even utilized the Oghma Infinium glitch -> now all my "Shadow" and Magic skills are on 100 and my level is currently 67 or 68; however, I don't seem to have improved. The Master Level Destruction Spells need too much time to charge and although I use the "Become Ethereal" shout in order to charge them without getting hurt, as soon as I become solid I get killed before even striking the enemy... I don't want to use God Mode or something like that, so I decided to ask how exactly you are playing. Warriors with maces and battle-axes aren't a problem, but those who use bows or long-ranged magic are a big threat to my character...

My Magicka is around 700 because of some clothing and rings, so I don't usually run out of Magicka easily; the Health is exactly 300; Stamina - 100.

Furthermore, while in a fight, I don't really fight, but go through the menus in order to find the appropriate spell or to find a way to heal myself in order to stay alive a bit longer.

I think to get myself some bow and try using it because everyone says bows do the most damage and it's easiest to play like that. However, while NPCs deal more than 150 damage to me using bows, I can rarely even hit them and when I do, the damage is around 70-80... If sneaking, a bit more, of course, but still...

So, what do I do in order to be able to own all types of enemies and not just skeevers and wolfs?!

Edited by Parmgrin

Well, you should probably start hotkeying your most-used spells (in the powers screen, press F to favorite a spell and then in the favorites menu press 1-8 to hotkey it). You should also look into the armor-raising spells oakflesh, ironflesh, ebonyflesh. And if you're playing a conjurer or destruction mage using long-range spells, you should probably keep your distance. And if you're facing long range enemies, wards and/or cover. Edited by acidzebra

The best guide I've yet seen is So You Want to be a Mage, and I highly recommend that you read it.

A few points off the top of my head:

You have way, way too much Magicka and way, way too little Health. My mages don't have even half that much Magicka because it just isn't needed if you're using gear that reduces spell costs. You need some on the way up the ladder, but once you have good gear and perks, spell costs should be zero for the magic type you use most. If you're going to put a mage in cloth, you need to give him as much health as you can to avoid being one-shotted. Even my wimp mages in light armor do that.

I also have very little use for Master spells. For Destruction, the Dual Cast and Impact perks make it possible to easily stun-lock anything with lesser spells. An expert Destruction spell on one hand and an expert Conjuration spell (I favor Dremora Lord quite a bit) on the other is also a good combination. Keep in mind that Expert missile spells have a longer range than bows, so you can hit an archer before he can hit you. Master spells are just too slow and that much power is rarely, if ever, needed.