Triggerable Meshes

LoginToDownload

I've been having trouble getting the three OnTrigger blocks to run on a new mesh. When running directly into or shooting a fireball at the mesh, the blocks don't run with either full "Static" collision or no collision at all. I tried to take a look at the Vanilla TrigZones, but both NifSkope and Blender give multiple errors when trying to open/import them. Ideally, the mesh wouldn't actually hinder anything's movement. How would I go about this?

I've been having trouble getting the three OnTrigger blocks to run on a new mesh. When running directly into or shooting a fireball at the mesh, the blocks don't run with either full "Static" collision or no collision at all. I tried to take a look at the Vanilla TrigZones, but both NifSkope and Blender give multiple errors when trying to open/import them. Ideally, the mesh wouldn't actually hinder anything's movement. How would I go about this?

I believe you need to setup the collision model with a OL_Trigger layer setting under the collision mesh.

However, you may just end up having to rig up something else, even going as far as using the standard trigger zone meshes around this object. Even still, it may never end up triggering if a fireball passes though without hitting the scripted object.

Things haven't been going smoothly on this one. Indeed, it's going to take a lot more than OL_TRIGGER. I spent most of last night trying to jam my NIF and the TrigZone NIF together, with limited success. I can't copy/paste all of either NIF into the other without getting errors, so it was done piece-by-piece. I guess I couldn't replicate all of the data in Block Details.

Things haven't been going smoothly on this one. Indeed, it's going to take a lot more than OL_TRIGGER. I spent most of last night trying to jam my NIF and the TrigZone NIF together, with limited success. I can't copy/paste all of either NIF into the other without getting errors, so it was done piece-by-piece. I guess I couldn't replicate all of the data in Block Details.

Maybe try using a different or newer version of nifscope or the exporter. I was able to load up the trigger zone .nifs without much problem.

It looks like my primary problem is that it doesn't save "Has Points" and the Points in question in NiTriStripsData when I try to paste, whether I start with the TrigZone or my model. A secondary problem when trying to paste my model onto the TrigZone is that it says the Shader Textures array in NiTexturingProperty is "much too large". When pasting so, the branches that should represent NiSourceTexture, NiSpecularProperty, NiMaterialProperty, NiAlphaProperty, and NiTriStripsData become completely blank. When viewing as a List, they don't appear at all. I suppose that's because the error cancels the remainder of the paste.

The only problems I can think of that could be causing this are A: The texture I use for it has a rather complex (Interpolated) Alpha, using 15% and 0% Alphas for various parts, overloading the aforementioned Shader Textures, and B: Somehow, newer NifSkope versions aren't designed to play nice with older ones, and downloading the version of NifSkope that Bethesda's meshes are configured for would solve it. Will experiment more tomorrow.

Rather than working on it from a mesh perspective, have you considdered if a CS and scripting perspective might work. For instance, use a bunch of trigger boxes with the normal mesh to approximate the area you were going to detect for, and make their scripting so that they only detect and then trigger a parented activator, or change a variable, rather than perform all the scripting themselves.

It's quite likely that that's going to end up my only choice. The problem does, indeed, seem to be that the TrigZone mesh is too outdated to work with any newer ones. I can paste Vanilla Oblivion's Stone Block 1 and Stone Block 2 meshes together with no problem (or "Different Nif versions" complaints), but can't paste either of them into TrigZone1. Saving and loading the TrigZone doesn't fix it. If I did do it in the CS, complexity wouldn't be an issue, since it's basically a flat plane with a semi-transparent texture pasted on (Spider web, if you were curious). Will look around for a really old NIF exporter for blender and, if that fails, do it in the CS. Many thanks for the help.

It's quite likely that that's going to end up my only choice. The problem does, indeed, seem to be that the TrigZone mesh is too outdated to work with any newer ones. I can paste Vanilla Oblivion's Stone Block 1 and Stone Block 2 meshes together with no problem (or "Different Nif versions" complaints), but can't paste either of them into TrigZone1. Saving and loading the TrigZone doesn't fix it. If I did do it in the CS, complexity wouldn't be an issue, since it's basically a flat plane with a semi-transparent texture pasted on (Spider web, if you were curious). Will look around for a really old NIF exporter for blender and, if that fails, do it in the CS. Many thanks for the help.

Might want to bring this up to the people over at niftools, something could probably be worked out for the future.

Archived