Missing .EXE file and SKSE

trooperk34

Anyone else having problems with their TESV.exe file, and its preventing them from launching SKSE? Mine is missing in its entirety, not even hidden in the subfolders or anything like that its simply not there. My anti-virus isn't affecting it, and even re-installing it from steam isn't helping. Do you have any tips for this?

TesV.exe is the actual game program - Skyrim cannot work without it. If your game runs at all, it is there somewhere.

Possible reason - it's there, but hidden

There is a setting in windows that hides some files. Look in your control panel, Folder options - view tab.

Look for these entries -

hide extensions for known file types - Should NOT be selected

Hidden files and folders - show hidden files, folders and drives SHOULD be marked.

Another possible reason

Pirate version. - sorry about your luck.

I'm using Windows 7 and it was hiding file extentions by default so SKSE was reporting it failed to find TESV.exe because it was TESV in my Skyrim folder. Once I unchecked "Hide extensions for known file types" in Folder Options in my Control Panel it shows in my Skyrim folder as TESV.exe and SKSE works perfectly. Edited by Jennifur68

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

You are all wrong. I actually had TESV from a PIRATED version and it worked lol, bought the game for real and TESV is nowhere, why? Because it doesn't exist on my computer. I have had hidden files viewable for so long and TESV just isn't here. The idea that you need it to run isn't right.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Skyrim Legendary Edition's main executable is Skyrim\TESV.exe. As mentioned previously, the game can't run without it. If you have this version, then you need "Current classic build 1.7.3" from the SKSE site.

If you have Skyrim Special Edition however, then the main executable is Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimSE.exe. If you have this version, then you need "Current SE build 2.0.16" from the same site.