Missing .EXE file and SKSE

trooperk34

If anyone's still watching this thread, I found a fix. You just have to open the readme.txt! It has all the instructions in there, but basically for Skyrim Special Edition, you don't need TESV.exe. You take the files beginning with skse in your downloaded zip folder, and copy those into the Skyrim Special Edition folder with SkyrimSELauncher.exe. Then copy all the scripts from the zip into Skyrim SE's scripts subfolder. Launch with skse65_launcher.exe, and you're golden! Again, all this is in the readme.txt so if you're stuck, don't go by the video because that's old, go by the readme.

• 1 month later...

wh

Skyrim Legendary Edition's main executable is Skyrim\TESV.exe. As mentioned previously, the game can't run without it. If you have this version, then you need "Current classic build 1.7.3" from the SKSE site.

If you have Skyrim Special Edition however, then the main executable is Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimSE.exe. If you have this version, then you need "Current SE build 2.0.16" from the same site.

Whats the step after this??

Whats the step after this??

Simple method for Oldrim:

1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to your Skyrim\ main folder (NOT Data).
  2. Open skse_1_07_03.7z using 7-zip.
  3. Double-click skse_1_07_03 in 7-zip to go into the folder.
  4. Drag all files into Skyrim\ in Windows Explorer.
  5. (Optional) Delete the src folder because you won't need that.
  6. Always launch the game by running skse_loader.exe.

Even simpler method for Oldrim:

1. Just run the installer: skse_1_07_03_installer.exe.

Simple method for SSE (pretty much the same as Oldrim):

1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to your Skyrim Special Edition\ main folder (NOT Data).
  2. Open skse64_2_xx_xx.7z using 7-zip.
  3. Double-click skse64_2_xx_xx in 7-zip to go into the folder.
  4. Drag all files into Skyrim Special Edition\ in Windows Explorer.
  5. (Optional) Delete the src folder because you won't need that.
  6. Always launch the game by running skse64_loader.exe.

There are methods for installing the scripts as a mod in your mod manager in order to keep your game directory a little cleaner, but really, I'm always going to have SKSE installed. The scripts are NOT optional.

• 2 weeks later...

I followed all of these instructions to a T, yet my game still does not want to work. I'm not sure how to bypass this or correct the issue...

I have concluded my issue is the SkyUI5_1 file I have downloaded. Yet I do not know how to fix this part.

Edited by darthdrauz

Ah, I see the problem now. You're mixing mods from Skyrim Classic (Oldrim) with Skyrim SE. Since you say that SKSE64 is working, I assume that you have Skyrim Special Edition.

• SoS 3.00.004 is for Oldrim. You need Schlongs of Skyrim SE 1.1.4 (on LL).
  • Similarly, SkyUI 5.1 is for Oldrim. You need SkyUI 5.2SE.

Unless you know how to convert Oldrim mods to SSE, always get mods specifically made for SE. There are only some Oldrim mods that are fully compatible with SE. They considered are two different games on Nexus - Skyrim mods and Skyim Special Edition mods. Look for "skyrimspecialedition" in the URL.

Another thing is that SKSE64 was recently updated (to 2.0.17) because SSE got updated (to 1.5.97). This means that some mods that do a SKSE version check need to be updated and haven't been yet. Here's a list.

• 1 month later...

Skyrim Legendary Edition's main executable is Skyrim\TESV.exe. As mentioned previously, the game can't run without it. If you have this version, then you need "Current classic build 1.7.3" from the SKSE site.

If you have Skyrim Special Edition however, then the main executable is Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimSE.exe. If you have this version, then you need "Current SE build 2.0.16" from the same site.

Thank you so much!

• 10 months later...