Interior weather sounds - how is this done?

LargeStyle

I'm very close to finishing a weather mod, and I've just put the finishing touches on my (exterior) rain settings, but I've read somewhere that it's possible to have weather sounds audible within interiors but I don't know how this is done.

I've noticed within Creation Kit an interior rain sound file, so it looks like the game's ready for this sound to be written into something!

I am however concerned about any scripting and game-save bloating problems, but I assume something like this shouldn't cause any problems (?)

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Thanks for the info, but I've just had a look at Jorrvaskrs cell properties within CK and the only audio references I found were acoustic space (seemingly a DSP selector) and music type.

I agree that Jorrvaskr has some internal to external audio connections as I've heard people talking inside the place while I'm approaching the door on the outside. However I've just gone to the place in game during my rainy weather and I can't hear the weather while inside the building.

So, still stuck.....

Ambient sounds are a placeable object within the editor. I think they start with AMB, just search 'all' in your object window.

For an example see the ships in solitude docks - its the little green bowl things - if u cant see any press 'm' to view markers

I am wondering if it doesn't have to do with the Lighting tab and the Sky being enabled in the interior cell, with a matching weather for where it's located. I have a player home I'm working on and I've duplicated the interior cell, I have zero AMB sound markers and it still gives me weather sounds that match the weather outside. You might have to make an interior Location that points to an exterior Location as the parent too, just some ideas to try. :confused:

Ambient sounds are a placeable object within the editor. I think they start with AMB, just search 'all' in your object window.

For an example see the ships in solitude docks - its the little green bowl things - if u cant see any press 'm' to view markers

But if I tell an interior location to play a particular sound then It'll do this everytime the cell is loaded, whether it's wanted or not. The sound somehow has to be dependent on weather type and location (and not just on location).

I am wondering if it doesn't have to do with the Lighting tab and the Sky being enabled in the interior cell, with a matching weather for where it's located. I have a player home I'm working on and I've duplicated the interior cell, I have zero AMB sound markers and it still gives me weather sounds that match the weather outside. You might have to make an interior Location that points to an exterior Location as the parent too, just some ideas to try.

I've never touched any kind of cell creation / adjusting controls other than moving some light sources around, so I have no idea here. I look into this, but in some respects I hope it's not the solution as 1) I'll have to change a huge amount of interiors settings and 2) it wouldn't automatically support unofficial / modded interior locations.

EDIT: I imagine this is possible somehow, this shows that Bethesda made an interior weather sound but seemingly didn't use it:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2149/51959575.jpg

If not aware, I can attach these sounds to a weather type, so maybe this can help out somehow?:

EDIT 2: No Joy - I went into a taverns cell data, told it to change region to "NONE" and ensure that "Show Sky" was ticked - no change in game: it's pouring it down outside and no weather noise inside :wallbash:

EDIT 3: Just tried adding a "green bowl" sound marker in the Bannered Mare in Whiterun, tried it in game and it made no difference whatsoever. Really stumped now o_O

Edited by LargeStyle

But if I tell an interior location to play a particular sound then It'll do this everytime the cell is loaded, whether it's wanted or not. The sound somehow has to be dependent on weather type and location (and not just on location).

I don't know much about scripting (almost none of the actual code), but would it be possible with SKSE or Script Dragon to attach a script something along the lines of...

If LastExteriorWeather = Rain then PlayAmbientRain
If LastExteriorWeather = NotRain then no PlayAmbientRain

I know its probably more complicated than that, even if you can attach a script to an ambient object (no clue). That's also pretty simple, not handling long periods of time being indoors when the weather might change, but maybe its something...

EDIT: Maybe its even possible to use a script to drop an ambient on the player under the right conditions? This might solve the problem of editing a ton of cells. Quest-type function?

Hope you get unstuck!

Edited by Dudeman325

This might work: create your own sound descriptor, add some conditions (i.e. IsRaining = 1), attach it to a sound marker then place that sound marker near doors/windows/etc.

Thanks isoku, but I don't suppose you'd be willing to elaborate on this please? Although I understand your basic principle, I wouldn't know how to achieve it.

Starting to feel that this isn't going to an easy fix, if a possible fix at all..... :(