A Question of Etiquette - Modding & Permissions

platyhelminthes

Hey Nexus, I have a question for you in regards to a dilemma I am currently facing.

I'm currently working on a mod, and would very much like to release it. (WIP here: http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/images/3310028-1337138874.jpg) However, (what I feel to be) an integral component of the mod uses the mesh from another mod author. Naturally, I'd PM for permissions and credit them in the release, but that's where my problem is.

One has yet to respond, and for some reason, the other is completely unreachable via PM. (Error says "The member ___ cannot receive any new messages")

I know that expecting a rapid response is unreasonable, but I sent PMs a little over 2 days ago. How much longer can/should I wait?

Will I just not be able to release my mod? I don't want to release it without permissions - I don't want to feel like I stole.

So my question is:

How am I to proceed?

Make sure you check out the permissions on the mods whose components you borrowed. Some modders don't require permission, only credit. I get requests at least once a week to use my apple trees in some new mod or other, but in fact the meshes are from a free modding resource so permission isn't mine to give. It's clearly stated in my mod's description and permissions section, but for some reason nobody seems to read that before automatically asking me. I guess it's a positive thing that we're all so automatically accustomed to asking for permission!

If the mod author does require permission (and honestly, most do, but it's still worth checking to be sure) then you'll have to either wait for an answer, or find another way. Either remove their meshes entirely or find a substitute mesh. Take a look through the modder's resources and see if there's something similar available. I'm constantly amazed at what I find in the free-to-use files that nobody is taking advantage of.

If all else fails, you might try begging in the Mod Requests forum for somebody to create a mesh for you. If it's something small and simple you might just find a kind modeler willing to help. A while back I needed a very small, very simple mesh and texture for an upcoming mod, and I spent many hours trying on my own and searching and creating crap after crap after crap before it finally occured to me to just ask for help. I only needed a model of a single ingredient to go along with the harvestable fiddleheads I'd created, and to my amazement, someone took the request and had it done for me in a few hours. I'd rather not post the name here because I don't want my personal hero to be inundated by requests for meshes, but it really made my day.

As acidzebra said no reply = no permission. I did a nod for Oblivion and had an interior of a windmill all done but needed permission for the grindstone. I waited a month and got no response at all so I finally had to rip out that interior and do something else. What I ended up with was far better then a grindstone. It can be frustrating not to get any response but sometimes it works out for the better.