Needed Software For Modding

GZRider

The single most important tool you can get if you want to make serious mods is the Creation Kit. You need to log in to Bethesda.net in order to download it, but after that you can just launch it locally without using the bethnet launcher. Just make sure you set a shortcut directly from the executable itself, as the auto-generated one routes through Bethnet's launcher.

Creation Kit lets you do everything from modifying specific locations to creating new factions to adding and removing enemies from specific areas and so much more.

XEdit [or FO4Edit] is useful for examining your load order and identifying where mod conflicts exist so you can either fix them yourself if you're skilled enough, or just decide which mods you want to disable in order to play your game [assuming a mod is causing crashes.] Great for making compatibility patches as you get more familiar with how CK works.

If you just want to do simpler mods like the one I made, which is a VATS Replacer, get YakiTori Audio Converter, VOICEFILEREFERENCE, and Audacity.

Audacity is all you really need if you just want to make basic sound replacers to get started as a modder.

In fact if you just want to get started modding and want to build some confidence, I highly recommend starting out with a VATS Replacer! You can download my It's High Noon mod and examine it, it's super simple! Literally just take a sound, rename it, pack it like I did [folders nested in the correct order], add it to your load order, test it in game to make sure it plays as expected, and then upload it here on NexusMods! Hell, you could probably make a death replacer that says Woody's famous "there's a snake in my boot" line if you wanted to!

Good luck and welcome to modding!

Edited by MaeroTheMaestro73

Maero already summed it up quite nicely. In addition to that, you should take a look at the sticky threads in the Mod Talk sub section here in the forum:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3760875-fallout-4-modding-tutorials/

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5978333-fo4-modding-tutorial-list/

But besides that, the programs you need depend on what kind of mod you want to create.