Anybody know of a good skyrim lag fix mod?

rafer90

Whats the model number of your Presario...then we could at least google it for specifications. How old is it? From what you're saying I'd guess its an older machine...the last Compaq Presario I owned I bought in 1998. If its an older PC that can still be upgraded you might squeeze a little more life out of it with upgrades like increasing your memmory or replacing the video card, but if it turns out your PC is just to old to run Skyrim nothing will make it better...you'd just need a new PC. Edited by Jennifur68

Its about 3-4 years old, it has served me well for many other games, and it really is a pretty reliable pc. I just cant figure out why it seems to be completely incapable of running skyrim without insane amounts of lag. I am very confused.

I have a 3-4 year old PC that I played other games on...it would barely meet the minimum requirements for Skyrim and I built it with good components...PC manufacturers tend to build with low to mid range components. Without some way to find your system specifications I don't think anyone can help you...usually on your case you'll find the model number either on the front like "Presario SR1050NX" or on a sticker on the back of the case like "Model: SR1050NX".

Here is a link to my troubleshooting blog.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/bbenlibrary/topic/4751769/1/#new

This is updated often so come back later for more.

Go through the general section before trying any game fixes. Do the system tweaks first. Do not put in any mods or DLCs before getting the base game working.

Stay away from ENB mods especially - they will kill fps on a weak system.

If you use any of this and have some success - or even if nothing works - please post back here what you did that worked or didn't work. That kind of information can be invaluable to other members having the same or similar problems - And to me in fixing any problems in the blog.

Either you're using a laptop or set the screen resolution setting too high for your computer to handle or you're using too many mods.

What's the specifications of your PC?

I always find the laptop comments funny because I play Skyrim with everything set to ultra except shadows which are high, well over 100 mods, a very intensive ENB with all the bells and whistles (ALWAYS the latest version from Master Boris, using 12.12.12 currently), custom inis for even better graphics, AND my resolution forced to 1920 x 1080 when native is 1680 x 945. And still have zero lag or freezes. My lappy is also over 2 years old. ;)

I see people all the time whose specs blow mine away not getting nearly the performance I am. Why? Because they don't bother to start at the root of their problem which is optimizing their pc for gaming. Granted it took me a ridiculous amount of research and trial and error (mostly error :P ) to beat this poor thing into submission. But I am more than happy with how incredible my game looks and how smoothly it plays. Sure I still hit some very fps intensive areas that slow me down enough to disable SSAO and DOF in my ENB but that is the only sacrifice I ever have to make and only in areas that are intensive for everyone. No matter the hardware, knowing how to use it and squeeze the most out of it is essential, especially in Skyrim.

So a laptop can and will play Skyrim beyond max settings. You just have to know how to use every possible trick in the book to make it happen and spend a silly amount of time setting it up. ;)

Now as far as the OP, I will send you a pm and see if I can help. Not promising anything since all my work has been geared for my particular system, but if you want to put a little time and effort into it, I'm willing to see what we can do. :thumbsup:

A high end laptop can absolutely play the game well. However, the cost of a true high end game playing laptop is often out of reach for a lot of people. While the same performance can be found in a desk top for about a third less. Or, if you build your own probably less than half the cost.

If you get a $300 laptop that is intended to access facebook and look up LOLcats on the internet, or a $400 computer intended for an office worker to write reports and do spreadsheets and presentations. That computer works great for what it was intended for. You may even be able to play - at a low resolution and low fps - Just don't expect to play demanding computer games on it at ultra resolution and 120 fps. :rolleyes:

A cheap gaming laptop starts at around $700 and a good one can cost as much as $2000 for a true high end box. Then, in a couple of years, it is obsolete and cannot be upgraded. Which is actually fine for most people as they expect to replace their laptop in 3 years or so anyway.

A big advantage of a desktop is parts can be replaced - a newer Graphics card, a sound card, more ram, a bigger faster Hard drive, A more powerful Power supply, a SSD drive to speed up access, Even a new motherboard and CPU to move your computer to the next generation - while keeping the hard drive, video card, Monitor and some other parts - keeping the price far below the cost of actually replacing that laptop or getting a completely new table top computer.

I have been playing the game and watching mods somewhat regularly since the release.

This is by far the best option for increasing FPS of Skyrim I have seen so far:

Hialgo: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15123

Before you bother with that, start the launcher (SkyrimLauncher.exe), go top options.

- pick the highest resolution you would be comfortable with

- set everything to "LOW" in the "ADVANCED" window

- disable anti-aliasing

- start the game

If you can't hit 20-30 fps, get a new comp.