What do you do when you're depressed

AReaver

Going to be boringly serious, for one of the few occasions in my life. As Mich... says, if its clinical depression you have, then it is way beyond listening to nice mood music. Hot baths, yes. No booze, as said, yes. Try to force yourself to have early nights. And get up early in the morning. Establish that as a routine. Try to force yourself to get a good lot of mindless physical exercise to get those whatsitnomes pumping. Lots of other good advice already covered here. Another thing you might want to consider is, getting another professional opinion about the meds you are on. Mine really messed me up, and it was only going cold turkey from them that made me realize just how much.

The main thing to know is, not to feel guilty about feeling the way you feel, nor to let others lay a guilt trip on you. Yours is a medical conditon, like , say, having a dicky heart. No one says to the guy with the bad heart 'Hey, just snap out of it!'. Nor should you, or anyone else say that to you!

Good luck , friend. You are far from being alone with this. One could say that anyone who DOESNT suffer clinical depression just aint paying attention!

Thanks, Chesto.

I still think many here are just using the word "depression" where it shouldn't be. Many people do in life. Being down really isn't it.

I was someone who didn't believe in it. My Mum had supposedly had it for my whole life and that, coupled with just being a British feller, made me one of those who would say "Oh just snap out of it" / "It's all in your head" (yeah I know, heh) / "It's just an excuse people use".

It took a long while for the doctors at the clinical trial I was going through to convince me that not only was I clinically depressed and in the middle of their scale but probably had been since I lost my Nan in '99.

It still took a long time for them to convince me that it was a disease even after I had accepted that OK, I've known for a while that there was something different about me, that I wasn't the life and soul of the party anymore, wasn't the person being invited all over the place, wasn't the person throwing parties all the time that would bring in 100+, wasn't the person some "friends" even wanted in their life anymore.

Still, it did finally get through my thick skull that it was SOMETHING and that the medicine I ended up on really changed me. It changed me almost back to the person I hadn't really realized had slipped away.

So, I would echo the sentiment that you should speak with your doctors again. We have different physiologies and it can take a while to find the right make and dosage which works for you. Sure, talking things out with a therapist, etc. can help with what may have triggered it but it can't just be wished away.

Good luck.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember fun things like... Halloween a few months ago!

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4071/96563016ob8.jpg

I'm such a geek. :sweat:

that looks really good

and don't worry theres always bigger geeks out there like me:P

i played Star Wars d20 (DnD) today with some friends over IM

I'm angsty... I never really am just only sad or only just manic or whatever. My moods change fairly constantly, but for the most part I'm fairly stable now... When I was in jr./sr. high, I was depressed - it's hard feeling so very different from everyone at my last school (it was a small school, maybe 500 students max), and so finding people I could connect with was tough...

If I'm sad however, I usually turn to my GF for support... although I'm never sad for long if I'm talking to her, she makes me very happy, and we both have a lot in common :happy: That's also part of the reason I was depressed in school - not having someone there to comfort me, and to comfort, but I digress.

A lot of people claim to be depressed... They really only need something to make them not depressed, and for one, it isn't drug therapy. There are people who are genuinely depressed, and that of course requires medical treatment.

My best solution for the rest who just need an uplift in their gloomy state - HUGS! =D Hugs work, I enjoy giving and receiving hugs, and I wish people would give them more often :happy:

So whats everyones definition of actually depressed? does recurring thoughts of suicide and depression count along with starting meds and the thoughts stop?

So whats everyones definition of actually depressed? does recurring thoughts of suicide and depression count along with starting meds and the thoughts stop?

We here, unless one of us is a Doctor in this field, aren't qualified to judge that. It takes physical tests and interviews to determine.

If you're on meds, however, then you've already been diagnosed and have no need of the definition from others.

For myself, though, I'd say it isn't something that just goes away when something good happens in your life. It is also something that sneaks up on a person, gradually changing their habits and personality. It isn't even always that obvious to yourself or others until it has a good grip on you.

It certainly ISN'T just feeling low for a couple of days or having a suicidal thought pop into the head now and then.

Ugh, I still hate that I've been turned into a believer. hehe.

Cheers.

We here, unless one of us is a Doctor in this field, aren't qualified to judge that. It takes physical tests and interviews to determine.

If you're on meds, however, then you've already been diagnosed and have no need of the definition from others.

For myself, though, I'd say it isn't something that just goes away when something good happens in your life. It is also something that sneaks up on a person, gradually changing their habits and personality. It isn't even always that obvious to yourself or others until it has a good grip on you.

It certainly ISN'T just feeling low for a couple of days or having a suicidal thought pop into the head now and then.

Ugh, I still hate that I've been turned into a believer. hehe.

Cheers.

i agree it isn't something that just goes away and its hasn't for me ive been like this since jr high and some stuff happened

Archived