Heavy Class seems underpowered

MasterAckrovan

It might just be me, but does anyone feel like the Heavies are a little under powered in this game? Their weapons don't consistently hit their targets, something that really negates their theoretically superior firepower. But when they do, it doesn't feel all that more effective then just using an Assault with a rifle. While they do have explosives, I'm not too keen on loosing out on any loot since my money is very tight. I'm only up to the Base segment of the game. Will this change when I get Plasma? Because at this point I really can't find a function for my Heavies that isn't done better by my Assault troopers.

It might just be me, but does anyone feel like the Heavies are a little under powered in this game? Their weapons don't consistently hit their targets, something that really negates their theoretically superior firepower. But when they do, it doesn't feel all that more effective then just using an Assault with a rifle. While they do have explosives, I'm not too keen on loosing out on any loot since my money is very tight. I'm only up to the Base segment of the game. Will this change when I get Plasma? Because at this point I really can't find a function for my Heavies that isn't done better by my Assault troopers.

Heavies start to shine when faced against robotic enemies (Such as the Sectopod and the Cyberdisk), since the 2x damage with HEAT ammo can reduce them from certain doom foes, to normal based ones. Also, suppression + danger zone + mayhem = surefire 3dmg + -30aim for enemies, moreso if they are close together.

Also to be noted, rockets only destroy loot if they are the ones that kill enemies, but if you use them to "soften-up" enemies (and destroy their cover for allies to "deal the last blow"), it can be a superb way of getting an upper hand. That and shredder rocket increases damage by 1/3, so 2 heavies, 1 with rocketeer+shredder+heat ammo and 1 with supression + danger zone + mayhem can easily destroy a LOT of enemies in the late game.

Edited by osito2dancer

Heavies start to shine when faced against robotic enemies (Such as the Sectopod and the Cyberdisk), since the 2x damage with HEAT ammo can reduce them from certain doom foes, to normal based ones. Also, suppression + danger zone + mayhem = surefire 3dmg + -30aim for enemies, moreso if they are close together.

Also to be noted, rockets only destroy loot if they are the ones that kill enemies, but if you use them to "soften-up" enemies (and destroy their cover for allies to "deal the last blow"), it can be a superb way of getting an upper hand. That and shredder rocket increases damage by 1/3, so 2 heavies, 1 with rocketeer+shredder+heat ammo and 1 with supression + danger zone + mayhem can easily destroy a LOT of enemies in the late game.

What he says is true. Even more so when you solely focus a heavy on explosives and he/she turns out to be

a Psionic soldier!

That way he/she gains powerfull abilities vs both robotic AND organic enemies. Meat and metals go in one end, goo comes out the other. :happy:

Also, later Ufo crashes or landings (especially the big ships) and terror missions almost always have you face a "heavy mech unit" (Sectopod or Cyberdisc pr both), and the heavy floaters also can be nasty. A heavy comes in handy here. I usually group 2 assaults and 2 supporters around a Squad-sighted sniper a little further back and a heavy- My typical (late-hame) heavy has the whole rocket set upgrades (2 regular+1 shredder w/ blaster launcher), can fire his main gun twice and has an upgraded scope equipped to make up for the lousy heavy weapons' aim percentages. Armor usually is Titanium, only when he's psychic I tend to give him Psi armor as well.

When "he" runs into a cyberdisc, it is usually done with one salvo. A sectopod requires a second burst, though I prefer to use two assaults w/ Alloy Cannons to shut them down permanently.

• 2 weeks later...

What everyone else says; late game set up your heavies as primarily rocketeers; 1 shredder + 2 standard rockets. Use these on any concentrations of aliens early. Even better once you get the Blaster Launcher. Even better if heavy is Psionic. KABOOM has never been so satisfying!

Rocketeer heavies rock, and can really make intense missions manageable.

What everyone else says; late game set up your heavies as primarily rocketeers; 1 shredder + 2 standard rockets. Use these on any concentrations of aliens early. Even better once you get the Blaster Launcher. Even better if heavy is Psionic. KABOOM has never been so satisfying!

Rocketeer heavies rock, and can really make intense missions manageable.

The man speaks truth, a pair of heavys with shredder rockets against a Sectopod can send that thing to the trash heap like no other. Just make sure you follow up with regular rockets.

• 5 months later...
Even vanila heavies are the best. They are jack of all trades they are the best scout and support for sniper like holo target adds accuracy and suppress fire lower aim of those baddies. Holo target is the best perk ever, even it miss it adds accuracy for the sniper. Also with rockets it save me alot on terror mission.