Recon Armor/Helmet under Power Armor

ForrestB

Okay, ever since I modded the Recon Armor skins and found that the files were named "Bosunderarmor", it has bothered me that you cannot wear the Recon Armor suit underneath Power Armor.

And the more I think about it, the more that makes sense. Power Armor, or exoskeletons in today's words, is not something you would put on over your butt ass naked self. You would wear some sort of under suit at the very least (at most you would wear regular body armor - have you ever seen the modern prototype exoskeleton videos?).

So, would anyone be willing to make a mod that lets the player equip Recon Armor underneath Power Armor, and the Recon Armor Helmet underneath the Power Helmet?

I might tackle this myself, though I am a little scared of the esp files (I'm not sure if all those random numbers and ID's are automatically generated or what...), and don't really know which switch determines apparel compatibility. I am assuming this mod would be possible since both the retail game and a few mods have allowed glasses to be worn with hats and helmets, and of course the Tesla glitch-pack can be worn over any armor/clothing.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to make this, or tell me how I can make it, I would really appreciate it. Besides, what could be better than the stacked defense, skill, and special bonuses of Recon Armor and T51b Power Armor?

I never thought of it that way before, maybe your right. Then again... none of the bonuses associated with Power Armor are in anyway similar to Recon Armor (which would be expected if Recon Armor was assumed to be worn beneath Power Armor). Also, BoS guys are the only ones ever seen wearing Recon Armor...so, does that mean that the Enclave guys (and anyone else who might don Power Armor) are naked..

Perhaps your right, but I'd still like to be able to wear both. Anybody got any ideas on how to do this?

I would imagine the Enclave power armor wouldn't have such an undersuit. It seems like it'd be very time-consuming to put on one suit just to put another on top, and since the Enclave suits are more advanced it would be logical for them to do away with it.

Anyways, you could wear clothing under armor in Oblivion, so I see no reason why this shouldn't be a simple tweak as soon as we get the GECK, although having sneaking bonuses while in full armor seem kinda silly...

If you wanted to go for full realism, you would need to script the power armor so that when it's put on it automatically equips the recon suit under it (presumably the power armor won't function without that base layer) and maybe add a sneak penalty to the power armor that negates the recon bonus.

The Power armours would have a snug/tight fit when put on because they're supposed to react on your movements and support your strength. Therefore I am sure that people would be wearing those power armours when wearing nothing but underwear. (Think of the Iron Man movie, if you've seen it.)

What Beth did wrong though is that most of their power armour do not add strength when worn. I don't think they understood power armour the way the Fallout 1 and 2 developers meant it to be.

I would imagine the Enclave power armor wouldn't have such an undersuit. It seems like it'd be very time-consuming to put on one suit just to put another on top, and since the Enclave suits are more advanced it would be logical for them to do away with it.

Anyways, you could wear clothing under armor in Oblivion, so I see no reason why this shouldn't be a simple tweak as soon as we get the GECK, although having sneaking bonuses while in full armor seem kinda silly...

If you wanted to go for full realism, you would need to script the power armor so that when it's put on it automatically equips the recon suit under it (presumably the power armor won't function without that base layer) and maybe add a sneak penalty to the power armor that negates the recon bonus.

Yeah I suppose the Enclave would just have a built in system. I would love to make a mod like this. Rather then having the Power Armor automatically put it on, I think I would just make it so that Power Armor cannot be equipped without Recon Armor being equipped first. I agree, there should be a -5 Sneak Penalty to Power Armor that negates Recon Armor's bonus (which makes perfect sense given the bulkiness of Power Armor). I think since we are assuming Enclave Armor has no under suit I would give Enclave Armor a sneak penalty of 5, which would add some complexity to the otherwise simple decision between regular PA and the Tesla suit.

The Power armours would have a snug/tight fit when put on because they're supposed to react on your movements and support your strength. Therefore I am sure that people would be wearing those power armours when wearing nothing but underwear.

I disagree. Look at the Recon Armor. It looks like it's meant to be worn underneath something. There are "outlets" throughout the torso that look like they are designed to plug into something, and the headwear is snug and tight with some sort of wiring (or maybe oxygen tubing) connected to the back of the head. Definitely designed to be worn under something.

I came up with a clothing mod when playing last night (once we get some decent, both gender, nude models), one with three tiers - underwear, clothing/armor, and power armor.

-Tier 1

Underwear would offer no protection and only be compatible with clothes that make sense to wear underwear with (ie most armor and clothing, but not raider armor, leather armor/recon armor, negligee). However, it would offer a Charisma bonus of 1 (sure dressing provocatively can make you more appealing, but nobody is going to take a naked person seriously).

-Tier 2

Most tier 2 apparel would allow underwear to be worn. Tier 2 apparel would pretty much be left alone stat wise. I think I'd make the player be able to carry a more realistic amount of weight (ie less), so that Power Armors are important in that area. I think I would also raise rad resistance a bit for Radiation/Environment suits.

-Tier 3

Finally, Power Armor/BoS/BoS Outcast Armor would require Recon Armor to be worn underneath. Enclave Armors would require that the player be completely nude. All Power Armor would have a penalty to sneak (negated by the Recon Armor, if applicable), but also some more robust effects - a major strength and endurance boost, a small boost to charisma, higher rad resistance, a small penalty to agility and perception, and higher damage resistance. I think I'd also try and customize the armors' effects by the faction they come from. Maybe remove the charisma bonus from Outcast Armor, for instance.

Hah, I'd better get started...

I just need to get familiar with this engine a bit before I screw with it. I'm used to like Stalker and Crysis right now, so Fallout 3 is a bit confusing.

i honestly dont see the issue. you wont be able to see one under the other. if you want to RP with it then just equip them as directed. to buff the stats on the power armour by equipping another set of armour underneath would kinda unbalance the game i think. i LIKE the cool looking Telsa armour being the best armour in the game. Just being unable to equip anything underneath it would make the BOS armour the best, which frankly i think looks lame.

I understand where your coming from but you gotta remember that Power armour in fallout lore was mostly reserved for full fledged paladins and ranking officials, as there was short supply of them, and they lacked the ability to make the power supply for them (although you find fusion batteries all over the place in fallout 3 but they look a little different).

i honestly dont see the issue. you wont be able to see one under the other. if you want to RP with it then just equip them as directed. to buff the stats on the power armour by equipping another set of armour underneath would kinda unbalance the game i think. i LIKE the cool looking Telsa armour being the best armour in the game. Just being unable to equip anything underneath it would make the BOS armour the best, which frankly i think looks lame.

I understand where your coming from but you gotta remember that Power armour in fallout lore was mostly reserved for full fledged paladins and ranking officials, as there was short supply of them, and they lacked the ability to make the power supply for them (although you find fusion batteries all over the place in fallout 3 but they look a little different).

Well, I suppose the issue is realism. I like games to be realistic in both gameplay and continuity. It bothered me that the suits are not compatible, when they are so clearly designed to operate in unison. I will definitely take into account Fallout lore, though I can only base decisions of what I have read and learned from others - I have never played any games before Fallout 3, unfortunately. And personally, I hate the look of Tesla armor. The Enclave helmet is just stupid in my opinion (whereas the BoS has that storm-trooperesque, military, and spartan look). And the Tesla body armor....since when would a soldier want to be covered in glowing green rods? I mean, the armor is good, but it's not that good...

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not taking a poll here. I am hoping for guidance, not opinions.

no offence taken. I was just struggling to understand the reason for the request is all. It just makes little sense to me when you could imagine that the power armour has a sort of recon suit built in on the inside. Would be a pain in the ass to first equip the undersuit, then connect up all the ports and stuff from the powerarmour to the skin of the undersuit, then finally seal the armoured suit over the top.

End of the day, if it is created, then i dont have to download it. Simple as that really.

Archived