functional cars to use!!!

Filemon

I'm no programmer, but it would seem like you might be able to use the vertibird's physics as a base for this...

Personally, I don't care if it looks perfect (right away), as long as it works right... Oh the joy of hanging your sawed-off out the window and blasting a raider off his bike... (Anyone else here remember Outlander?)

Cars would cause some problems in terms of gameplay. We'd need to figure out how to get a 4-wheeled vehicle through a terrain that's cluttered with rubble piles everywhere. Also you can't use the base scripting from the vertibirds because they just follow a pre-scripted route, they're not piloted by AIs. They're less like horses, more like elevators. I think it would be safest to start with something like a horse or perhaps a motorcycle and go from there, though perhaps a car would be a somewhat distant possibility. Either way we would need to wait for the SDK first.

i understand the difficulty involved, but i think that vertibird should be easier as there would be very little to deal with in the way of collision and dealing with bumps in the road. its more just an issue of the taking the model of one from the game and creating your own mechanics for it.

You already have the model, surely the jobs 2/5th done.

I'd also like it to handle like the choppers in battlefield 2

Some Nachos n cheese would be good too.

Cars would cause some problems in terms of gameplay. We'd need to figure out how to get a 4-wheeled vehicle through a terrain that's cluttered with rubble piles everywhere.

that's why i suggested some kind of antigravity no-wheels device to have cars floating few inches and surpassing any minor terrain colision issues.

Well I don't think a car SHOULD be able to go everywhere. That way there's incentive to maybe take a bike or a horse, or just plain go by foot. It would also make you a more obvious target for enemies. I think you should have to scanvenge / trade for fuel / cells / whatever they end up running on. A vehicle would have inherent limitations, but I think that's a good thing.

To somewhat eliminate the car door issue what if the door opened vertically and when player enters car they close when you push the button (one button per door in the center console). I also have a solution to the fact you have companions and well they need a ride too... the npc sits in the chair beside you (I don't know about the dog, maybe he just follows behind I can't think of a way to fix that unless he jumps in somehow and know when to jump out). Also the car should have a radio that you can change and have another button that plays songs in a random order from a folder where you put them. For examples on the console look up the 08 Honda Civic (by console I mean the area around the radio on the 08 Honda Civic). For a more luxurious car have a container built in that spawns a version of nuka-cola and nuka-cola Quantum without radiation (might not be possible until the G.E.C.K appears) in a spot just under the console (This is not a primary element in the car just a thought) This car can have storage in the glove compartment, the trunk and a more secrete place under the hood (for that extra ammo you saved for when your ammo supply runs low and you're defending your car). To drive the car you select the shifter and you then go into a third person view like in the GTA series on pc and large consoles, press a predefined button on the keyboard to go into first person view for the more realistic driving experience. Another button turns off the car so you can switch radio or open doors (the whole radio thing is if you just want to sit and rock out to some tunes without starting the engine, also if theres a way to switch radio while driving (like [ to go one station left and ] for one station right) As a car of the future it should have small laser fire for defense (low firepower laser rifle poking through the grill , low power so you can't hide inside and shoot out and with limited ammo) The ammo will be the same for the laser rifle, if it isn't too complicated the gun can be repaired with normal laser rifles or it could be fully repaired all the time. To reload open the hood and put in the laser rifle ammo in spot around the engine. Right now I can't help test since my pc's being repaired and i only have access to a school computer. If there are any questions don't hesitate to ask and I'll try to explain as best as I can.

Another thing... What if a house was created with a garage so that way you can enter the garage and then close the garage door (buttons in the car) and well this house will be a normal house, one story with a basement to put your prized guns on display and the garage will have a workbench and a few containers for the cars ammo and fuel (if this thing plans to run on something other than imagination) the car's trunk could also have a fuel container in it with limited fuel that you have to restock yourself. The car could also display a map somewhere inside so you don't have to bother to look at your Pipboy for directions. This entire project needs to be kept alive until the G.E.C.K's release where again I'd love to help out anyway I can, seeing as my new pc will be available soon after X-mas, I gave up trying to fix mine now might as well upgrade so I can be of better use to the modding community.

Archived