How do you tell the "human" races apart?

Jiggalopuff

I'm terrible at this too... but here's what I think I know.

Light colored whitish skin, pointy ears, really short? -> Woodelf

Greenish skin, pointy ears, really tall? -> Highelf

Now, the other ones are tough... I go by tendency:

Blond hair and tall -> Usually Nord.

Shorter than normal -> Usually Breton

Dark colored skin -> Usually Redguard

I really don't know particularities in regards of Imperials.

(I know I didn't help much.... I have a problem telling races apart too.... Let's hope someone helps us with that ;D )

Hai Guyz,

I've been a fan of the TES franchise since Daggerfall, and I still cannot tell the difference between all the races, with obvious exceptions(Khajit, Argonian, Dunmer). Does anyone else have this problem?

well i can tell when it comes to the elf races and the beast races. I cannot tell between Breton and Imperial. others are kind of obvious. Redguards have darker skin tone and Nord's are blonde (or brown haired) and sometimes more pale.

As a general rule, Nords are the tallest, though without point of referance you can usually tell a Nord by the face. Women have leaner, more angular faces and men are more squared.

Redguard should be pretty self explanitory.

Bretons and Imperials can be tricky, though as a general rule, Imperials are darker skinned (typically goldish) and Bretons have rounder faces.

If you are lucky enough to have them convientiently standing side by side, the height usually gives it away. Nords are tallest, followed by Redguard, Imperials and Bretons are just wee folk.

It's never something you can pick up right off, takes some time and knowing the art sets for each race. Thematically, Nords are Germanic, Redguard are Carribean and east-cost African, Imperials are Mediteranian and Bretons are Gaulic/Norman (IE French).

Bretons have much paler skin, and much softer faces than most imperials they are also generally slightly shorter than the other human races.

Imperials also have slightly darker skin, leaning towards the greek/italian/Mediterranean side of things with darker hair.

its usually in the name that makes it easy though.

Bretons either have french or western european names, whilst all Imperials have Roman sounding names.

Bretons and their culture is based on old feudal European customs

Imperials are based on Roman and Greek culture

and the Nords are based on Scandinavian culture

edit: just realised the post above mine is pretty much the same...whoops, sorry!

Edited by Scorch621

I did struggle identifying the races when first playing Skyrim, the races on Oblivion looked so different and obvious and i was confused when i first saw a wood elf because he looked human..

I did struggle identifying the races when first playing Skyrim, the races on Oblivion looked so different and obvious and i was confused when i first saw a wood elf because he looked human..

Really? You could tell them appart? Asside from the garrish colours of the Elves, they all looked like the same generic putty head. If you could tell a Breton from an Imperial in Oblivion, you are a far keener eye than i am.