Flare gun

Cine_eater

Maybe you could use a bow (Maybe a high tech junk crossbow so that gun animations can be used.) instead, that way you could tie the flare to the arrow and either shoot the arrow into a wall (Like the railway nail thing) or (And this is the fun bit) shoot the arrow into the enemy and if it doesn't kill them, have them run around with an arrow sticking out of them lighting the room for you.

This would fit in to the lore pretty well. It's been over 200 years since the last flare was manufactured, so it's reasonable that any flares that survived the war were ruined by weather/time. If you were to go the junk flare-bow route, then perhaps the schematics would be something like this:

2x Lawnmower blade + 2x surgical tubing + crutch = junk bow

Or better yet, why not use the already existing dart gun and add the schematic that launches flares instead?

[chemicals] + tin cans = 10 flare-darts

Then all that needs work is the coding for how the flare moves through the air and how its lighting works.

how about something like this as the flare gun?

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq203/hartattk/unlockIcon.png

That sir, is a shotgun. And it would require new animations.

Whereas the single shot flare gun could use the .32 pistol animations.

im quite aware of what it is but for functionality within the game i think this would serve the player better. Sometimes BeanO its not about whats easiest or even most realistic cause face it Fallout 3 isnt realistic, sometimes its about something more. There are modding teams everywhere trying to make mods that bring more functionality to everything, like power armor and food and yes weapons too. So yes that was a pic of a shotgun and yes new anims and all that, but shooting a single flare to light up the wastelands aint gonna help when u got super mutants rushing you from your right and Yao Guoi from your left and who knows what else around you.

If you've got supermuntants and whatnot trying to eat you, a flare gun is not the tool you need. While it would be cool if you could use alternate ammo types in shotguns, such as flare rounds, I can't see anyone building a BFG flare gun, as flares aren't designed as weapons.

the point im trying to make is that if your in a tight situation and u wanna get out of it, neither stumbling through pitch black wastes nor a single flare is going to be any good. For me im playing in a way that increases the difficulty dramatically so i do get swarmed by hordes in pitch black wastelands and there is NO weapon that will help you in a situation like that so running is the only option, but u need to know where your running to. The area that a single flare would light up is not going to be much use if your trying to escape from the hordes. Plus flare guns arent the most common guns around, so to me it would make sense that moira or the alike would create a flare round for more readily available weapon. In the context of fallout shotguns would provide an ideal delivery system for a flare round. I do agree though that alternate ammos for shottys are good and that i think this is how the flare issue should be tackled.

this thread has got me thinking. . .wat about phospherous sabot rounds for the shotgun. . .kill two birds with one stone. . .huh huh, do you like it?. . .although a phos-sabot would burn out too quik to be of much use as a flair. . .modified formula perhaps?

The problem with the shotgun model isn't so much that it's unrealistic (there are after all 12 gauge flares) but it would need new animations which we can't add. There is no program currently available to us that would let us add new animations.

The single-shot flare gun I posted a picture of however, can use the .32 pistol animation OR the sawn-off shotgun animation which already exist in the game. Therefore that can be done, whereas the Reutech Protecta can't.

I was thinking more of the first gun as well, the damage enemies feature with the single shot flaregun was incase you are attacked while using it for lighting an area and don't have to change weapons and have the enemy on you before you can shoot your new weapon.I was more interested in it being a lighting option or could be incorporated into a signal flare option for traders in trouble or for you to summon waiting companions.Although I do like the idea for the bow with flaming tips that can be stuck in enemies, what a great way of marking fleeing enemies so you can keep track of them and I think this would make a great mod seperate to the flaregun.Also Darker Nights gets my vote as I think the nights outside and inside the bowels of buildings and sewers/subways are far to bright.

Cine-eater.

Archived