Farengar won't let me help D:

Sinnadrin

Hey people!

Alright, my problem is this: I arrived at Whiterun, went to Jarl Balgruuf to tell him of the news of Helgen. All's fine, until he gives me a new task to help the court wizard Farengar.

The jarl walks to the labratory well enough, but he continues to just stand there and not say a word... Without the Jarl speaking for me, Farengar will of course be .. eh... reluctant to let me join in his little project. So I'm stuck and I've tried reloading many many times, even tried replaying from an earlier save, but still the same problem keeps occuring.

It's not like Bleak Falls Barrow is really a quest of which I can just think "Meh, whatever", since I need it to progress.

Can anyone help me with this, please?

Much appreciated in advance! ^^

Try heading off to Bleakfalls Barrow anyway. The game's already got a dialogue selection for Farengar if you've already been there before getting the quest.

So try going there, getting the item and going back then just talking to him directly yourself.

I've already got the item though, so it -should- work.. :s But it doesn't, for some strange reason. I've also got the latest patch installed through Steam, so that shouldn't be the problem either.

Edited by Sinnadrin

Can you post your load order? Also, does this happen if you don't have any mods installed? (from a new game)

I'm going to be a huge noob in this case and ask what you mean with 'load order', sorry...

I've indeed tried it with all mods turned off, but it makes no difference whatsoever. I've tried the automatic fixing of the files as well...

Can you post your load order? Also, does this happen if you don't have any mods installed? (from a new game)

I'm going to be a huge noob in this case and ask what you mean with 'load order', sorry...

I've indeed tried it with all mods turned off, but it makes no difference whatsoever. I've tried the automatic fixing of the files as well...

Even with all your mods turned off you could still have the same problem if those mods caused a permanent problem in your save. But if this same thing happens even from a new game without mods installed, then I don't know what to say.

A load order is the order that the game loads you mods. It mostly determines which mods get the last say in changing something when more than one mod changes the same thing. Having a good load order is very important to having a stable game with as few bugs as possible and as many mods working well together as possible. You can modify your load order using the default game launcher, or you can use the Nexus Mod Manager, or Wrye Bash, or BOSS. BOSS is the preferred method for most people because it will set all of your mods into a pretty good load order for you. You will also need one of these programs in order to easily show us all of the mods you are using, preferably in the order that they load. This will help to figure out what your problem is.