Visible equipment wear and tear mod

immortalfrieza

Something Bethesda has yet implement that I would like to see in their games is visible damage to equipment, weapons and armor both. I find it rather odd when my character gets shot, stabbed, burned alive, blown up, etc. and when they finally die after all of this, or I could pick up some power armor from somewhere that has barely any condition left and put it on and it looks just like brand new armor, neither with any actually visible damage whatsoever. So, what I'd like to see is wear and tear applied to equipment of all kinds appropriate to the piece of equipment in question. For instance, things like tears, bullet holes, scorch marks, dents, dirt and grime, parts of the equipment missing entirely as condition goes down, if any have the skill needed to go full on reactive damage like with the Batman Arkham games that would be incredible, but going that far wouldn't be necessary.

I am sure it could be possible there was a mod like this for Oblivion, BUT it would require a different texture and more then likely mesh for each stage thats a TON of work. Even the Oblivion one never got a full replacer only a few armors ever used it.

I am sure it could be possible there was a mod like this for Oblivion, BUT it would require a different texture and more then likely mesh for each stage thats a TON of work. Even the Oblivion one never got a full replacer only a few armors ever used it.

I know, I know, it would take a lot of work to do, I'm just putting this up here to see if there is anyone dedicated enough out there to make this happen. Really, only the armor really needs this, the weapons already have things like jamming and such thrown in to make them look less functional as their condition goes down, but it would still help if weapons also looked worn out.

Honestly though, I'm surprised Bethesda itself never implemented anything like this, seeing how much attention to detail they put in otherwise.

And we'd have to use NVSE because the base functions of NV doesn't really do much of anything with armor. GetEquippedCurrentHealth from NVSE though, would allow us to determine the health percentages of the armor so we could swap out models at various stages. & use SetEquippedCurrentHealth to sync the health values between each version so the beat up models don't have 100% health. Plus if we have it on a 1 sec delay for the script it's not going to add any overhead.

I wish I knew if/how you could do animated textures on rigged models, because then we could just have the script switch textures only. I see them all over on animated nifs, but not rigged ones :(

If I find some spare time I'll try and whip up a demo.

And we'd have to use NVSE because the base functions of NV doesn't really do much of anything with armor. GetEquippedCurrentHealth from NVSE though, would allow us to determine the health percentages of the armor so we could swap out models at various stages. & use SetEquippedCurrentHealth to sync the health values between each version so the beat up models don't have 100% health. Plus if we have it on a 1 sec delay for the script it's not going to add any overhead.

I wish I knew if/how you could do animated textures on rigged models, because then we could just have the script switch textures only. I see them all over on animated nifs, but not rigged ones :(

Thank you, anything you can do to progress this mod will help.

Here's a very (VERY) basic tutorial on using flip controllers to animate textures in a nif.

http://frworld.wikis...imated+Textures

Edited by Astymma

Here's a very (VERY) basic tutorial on using flip controllers to animate textures in a nif.

Thanks Astymma, that is pure gold :thumbsup:

I'v skimmed through the TES construction kit basic animation tutorial, but honestly it's less of a tutorial that just using pre-made building blocks, so I really appreciate the link.

I'll probably stick with texture sets since it won't require any difference in file sizes in comparison, but I would love to master animated textures on rigged models. I always wanted to put some little CRT screens on power armor or on bots. I'd love to have some way to change those textures through script, but heck I can't complain, this will be a nice step forward.

BTW have you come across any tutorials for NiVisController nodes? I'v been meaning to get around to checking out the blocks in the my dog mod, but they are very obtuse to me and a tutorial would be greatly appreciated. I'm actually kind of suprised we don't have a lot of info on for authors. I mean you want to add a hat to a think tank, presto. Add a new weapon to a bot, new armor to a dog, a neural network control helmet to a death claw etc. It just seems like the only realistic way of bypassing NV's lack of non humanoids ability to use various attire and equipment. I think it would really expand the game and present some great opportunities.

Thanks Astymma, that is pure gold :thumbsup:

I'v skimmed through the TES construction kit basic animation tutorial, but honestly it's less of a tutorial that just using pre-made building blocks, so I really appreciate the link.

I'll probably stick with texture sets since it won't require any difference in file sizes in comparison, but I would love to master animated textures on rigged models. I always wanted to put some little CRT screens on power armor or on bots. I'd love to have some way to change those textures through script, but heck I can't complain, this will be a nice step forward.

BTW have you come across any tutorials for NiVisController nodes? I'v been meaning to get around to checking out the blocks in the my dog mod, but they are very obtuse to me and a tutorial would be greatly appreciated. I'm actually kind of suprised we don't have a lot of info on for authors. I mean you want to add a hat to a think tank, presto. Add a new weapon to a bot, new armor to a dog, a neural network control helmet to a death claw etc. It just seems like the only realistic way of bypassing NV's lack of non humanoids ability to use various attire and equipment. I think it would really expand the game and present some great opportunities.

Nope, sorry, you're reaching that territory where every practitioner is probably a poor tutorial writer hehe.