I recently noticed my SSD is for some odd reason is reducing it self in size over span of few hours (I call it "memory leak")... about 100mb pr hour give or take.

Bought the SSD early this year so I can't see how "old age" could be the cause.

I think maybe the cause of it is when I did a defragmentation run on the drive...

altho I was told shortly after that by doing that i cut down the lifespan -_-

But I only did it once.

Any other ideas? or how to possibly fix it?

First of all, do not ever defragment an SSD.. They don't need it as data cannot technically even become fragmented on an SSD.

Second, data being deleted without user input is normal as SSD's on modern operating systems use TRIM to remove unnecessary data and cut back on wasted read/writes.

Unless you are getting corrupted data or lost data I wouldn't worry about it.

I recently noticed my SSD is for some odd reason is reducing it self in size over span of few hours (I call it "memory leak")... about 100mb pr hour give or take.

Bought the SSD early this year so I can't see how "old age" could be the cause.

I think maybe the cause of it is when I did a defragmentation run on the drive...

altho I was told shortly after that by doing that i cut down the lifespan -_-

I would also suggest that you use a different drive for all temp and cache files used by Windows, as well as the destination/source for any P2P downloads (which are essentially fragmented by nature). Even with a mechanical drive, the lifespan of that drive used for these things can become significantly less over the course of a year or two depending on usage. But a mechanical drive can still handle the constant reads and writes better than a SSD.

Your problem could come from sectors becoming too worn out to use, or from some other process which is taking up that memory. I would have course perform the usual virus/malware checks, double check your net connections (programs or sites which you are connected to through your firewall), and ensure that the reduction is related to total drive size, not merely free space (since having that drive used as a pagefile can lead to windows continually adjusting it as memory is needed by default).

First of all, do not ever defragment an SSD.. They don't need it as data cannot technically even become fragmented on an SSD.

Second, data being deleted without user input is normal as SSD's on modern operating systems use TRIM to remove unnecessary data and cut back on wasted read/writes.

Unless you are getting corrupted data or lost data I wouldn't worry about it.

I think i need to explain more deeply... when I meant the SSD is reducing in size I meant it is filling up... It was at 18GB and was reduced to 17.2GB in mear hours.

And this happens without me installing any form of windows updates or downloading files like mods... movies, pictures, mods and other kind of files is stored on my secondary HDD and not the SSD.

The SSD is purely stored with OS, installed drivers and installed mods directed to Skyrim only. Rest of everything else is stored in the HDD.

So tech you could call it filling it up... my bad for not formulating it better.

The SSD is purely stored with OS, installed drivers and installed mods directed to Skyrim only. Rest of everything else is stored in the HDD.

Probably some form of temp files or swap space (maybe internet history) that you didn't allocate completely to the HDD. Or you installed some bloatware somewhere.

No idea... and it can't be the files from useing internet (chrome) those files gets wiped out automaticly after each day and mostly it fills up 200-300MB of space.

Altho.. It could be that some data gets "lost" and collects in other parts... but to fill up my SSD in mear hours seems like a far stretch.

Now its hsows it 19GB space!? It actually whent back... I have no idea.. my SSD is f***ed or my pc is -_-

Edited by MatrixCoder

First guess - something is being cached to the ssd - and when you restart the game or reboot, that cache is being emptied. Many programs do not ask where to cache their temp files and automatically use either the C: drive or the drive their program is on. My SSD is Y: and I have set any caching, temp files etc to my F: drive (and some still sneak in) My saves go to the C: drive still to save space on my SSD. I do have an occasional in game freeze whne playing Oblivion - only when accessing a large inventory ( I use the Bag of holding and the inventory in it can get very large if not emptied for a while) for a few seconds that may be attributable to not having certain cache files on the SSD.

I still boot from my C: HD, as that is a once a day event and it only takes about 2 minutes. I go get a cup of coffee while it is booting. By the time I get back it is running.

I think i need to explain more deeply... when I meant the SSD is reducing in size I meant it is filling up... It was at 18GB and was reduced to 17.2GB in mear hours.

That doesn't tell us a thing. What matters (for diag) is how much space is taken.

Anyway, if you have Windows, it's only normal.