still need help

blarg4894

I have spent four days looking for how to mod this damn game. As of right now it is pissing me off. I open stem go to steamapps and then go to common and new vegas but in never works. I NEED help with this these are the mods I have so far

pipboy 2500

Ulysses companion

Nevada skies

make any NPC partner

anything will help I just want to mod these in there so badly. So please if someone helps me do these steps

tell me what I need

what it does

where I can get whatever I need

also

what order it goes in

and any other SPECIFIC places, downloads, and most importantly DOCUMENTS I need to do this.

I am just a n00b so I have no idea what FOMM does or what anything like that even is so please explain what it is and does if you help.

Well if you help in advance I highly appreciate it. thank you

Improved communication skills would help. But.

All the data for Fallout: New Vegas is stored in the Data folder. The path to this folder is %steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\data\, where %steam is your steam directory (Default C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\. Mine's in C:\Games\Steam to dodge UAC woes.).

Each mod you download will consist of an esp or esm file. Most will also include either a bsa file or a directory structure or both. You need to extract the esp/esm and the bsa files and the directory structure from the mod's archive into your new vegas Data directory.

I'm going to use Ulysses Companion as an example. The file downloaded is "complete fix-44067-2-5.rar", so I open it in 7zip:

Next, I extract all the files into the Data Directory for fallout new vegas. I Select All with ctl-a, then click 'Extract' in 7zip. I point the open dialog to my FNV Data director, then click 'OK':

Next you need to ENABLE the mod. You CAN do this with just the default FNV launcher, but that's far too limited to allow for anything advanced. Most of us use either the Nexus Mod Manager or Fallout Mod Manager. I prefer FOMM myself, so these directions will be written using FOMM.

Get whichever one you want and install it. Then launch FOMM/NMM. Find UlyssesCompanion.esp in the list, then make sure the box next to it is Checked. UlyssesCompanion is now enabled:

Because I have NVSE installed, my launch button says 'Launch NVSE', but yours will say 'Launch Fallout: New Vegas', or something close. Right now the game can be launched with UlyssesCompanion, but you had several others, so repeat the process of extracting them to the data directory in the same manner as UlyssesCompanion was done. When you restart FOMM, the esp/esms will show up in the list, ready to be enabled. Once you have all the mods you want ready, you may need to sort the list. Sorting is an extremely involved topic, but you can get an overview here.

Finally, I repeat - it would help us help you if you communicated better. I really have no idea what you have done, what you haven't done, or even what problems you're having based on your post, so I've stepped all the way back to Modding 020 here. If you already know all this and are having other problems, I apologize, but if I can't understand what you need, I can't help you get it.

The game reads data files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\Data\.

Game data is in ESM ("master) and ESP ("plugin") files. There are also BSA archives in there that contain all of the resources used by the ESM files for the base game.

Most mods will contain their own resources along with the ESM or ESP that contains the data for the mod. These will be in folders named meshes, textures, sound, etc. Some of these folders may not exist in your Data directory if you haven't installed any mods yet, and that's fine--the folder structure is present inside the BSA archives, and the vanilla game reads its data from those.

Some less-than-considerate mod authors might have useless folders inside their mod archives, such as "Some Mod\The Files\Useless Folder Structures Suck\Data\The Mod.esp" or the like. Just find the ESM or ESP and click-and-drag it along with any folders in the same folder as the plugin to the Data folder at the top of this post. Make sure to activate the plugin(s) in FOMM, and you're set to go.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you may have.

Edit: Seems Xaranth beat me to the punch.

Edited by luthienanarion