Some new Retro Hairstyles?

robinkom

I always wanted to have big 1980s style hair for my character in Skyrim. I know it's not quite lore-friendly or all that popular anymore but I draw the notion of it from the abundance of professional Fantasy artwork created in the 80s that was the norm for the promotion of some of the products they were tied to like AD&D. You can see it in a lot of work by Larry Elmore and Boris Vallejo, especially.

I'm well aware of the complications in trying to create a 3D model of something with so many erratic angles and vertices. Call me old-fashioned, it's just a look I've always adored and seeing a game like Skyrim brought back those memories from the old days. I'd attempt it myself but 3D rendering is a bit above my skill level. Just thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone would bite, I'm probably alone in this. At the least I can imagine it's not the typical kind of request.

Example 1: Bangs, layers, kind of a bob.

http://www.perfectlocks.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/bob-with-bang.jpg

Example 2: Morgan Fairchild

http://coolaggregator.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/morgan_fairchild.jpg

Example 3: Heavy Metal band, Vixen

http://www.haircentric.com/gallery/d/1004-2/vixens_big_hair2.jpg

Example 4: Flyer for 1988 "Vixen" video game.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/Vixen1988.jpg

Example 5: Linda Blair circa 1984

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_kol4c8zKLM1qz7l0ao1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAI6WLSGT7Y3ET7ADQ&Expires=1357429028&Signature=BN%2B1C33Nl%2B512KpJ4RKEOPlHJiU%3D

Example 6: Markie Post.

http://www.perfectlocks.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/markie1.jpg

Gah, 80's hair! Well it's better than a request for giant shoulder pad armors ;)

I kid, I definitely understand the desire for it. I can't help but think of the old Conan movies, the Labyrinth and various other fantasy films from the 80's that featured big hair classics. I don't think it would look any less in character in Skyrim than some of the more modern hairstyles that seem to be modeled on the cast from the Jersey/Geordie Shore series :yucky:

Good luck with your request :thumbsup:

Thanks. It's just that I've seen all these regurgitated hairstyles like numenume and ApachiiSky Hair and face meshes used across The Sims 2, Skyrim, Oblivion, Dragon Age, etc., that it's tiresome. I have them all installed to support certain custom followers I use but I don't really used them for my own character for any reason because they're just not my style.

It all looks like it belongs on Barbie dolls or in a Korean MMO and I generally don't like the typical aesthetic that comes along with those. Like I said, I'm old fashioned, I've always loved big wild hair.

And, yes, Conan the Barbarian, Labyrinth, Red Sonja, I LOVE those movies. They've always been a huge influence for me. The games of the day, the SSI Gold Box games like Eye of the Beholder or Curse of the Asure Bonds. Heavy Metal acts that broke out big in the 80s, Manowar, Iron Maiden, Savatage, Helloween. It's all encompassing for me and the things I associate with fantasy settings, and with that comes... the style such as the hair. As it were, it pegs me as a dying breed.

The young'uns with their Anime influences make the modding communities of today's games move and shake. Pretty boys in belly shirts with geometrically impossible hair and swords the size of Buicks n' all that jazz.

Don't forget Brian May from Queen!

I had never really thought about the "Big Hair" issue but I agree with you - 80's style would be awesome!

I hope a competent modder will take up the challenge?

SM

I'm all for the heavy metal hair. Glam rock especially.

Some metal clothes would be cool too.

Yes, maybe some old-school "Metal-ish" outfits that lend themselves to being lore-friendly. Usually can't go wrong with leather, spikes, studs, and chains. There's that ridiculous Gothic Lolita stuff out there made for this game, this request is no stranger.

Edited by robinkom

Believe me, if I had any understanding of 3D modelling, I'd have done this myself a long time ago. As it stands, it's not a process I can wrap my head around so easily. I was always a traditional artist with my mediums; pencil, ink, watercolor, etc. Learned a good bit in 2D Graphic Art with programs like Photoshop too over the years. The more technical stuff involved in 3D rendering is like a brick wall I can't get around, I never had an affinity for coding/scripting/programming/etc. There's a lack of intuitiveness for we "right-brained" people when it comes to that stuff.

I'm all for the heavy metal hair. Glam rock especially.

Some metal clothes would be cool too.

Yes, maybe some old-school "Metal-ish" outfits that lend themselves to being lore-friendly. Usually can't go wrong with leather, spikes, studs, and chains. There's that ridiculous Gothic Lolita stuff out there made for this game, this request is no stranger.

Yeah, we already have leather items in the game, an i know people have made some mods for leather but its not metal, its jus sexy outfits for girls. making the brown into black would help.

Adding spikes shouldnt be too hard since the game has different spikes as well.

A nice pair of leather pants, some straps, shirts n boots.

then agian i know nothing about modding myself as well.

Edited by SanguinarianLion13

Ooooohh, that one would be a great piece to start with. And possibly a larger and thicker version with more pronounced straps or buckles across the front and some shoulder pads that are not too big that have the appearance of being actual shoulder guards and then just add some spikes or studs around the trim. It would obviously look best on a male character with no shirt under it.