Modification of Crime (Especially Sandman)

Amoveo

Hi I'm new here and don't know anything about coding, but I think this is a fairly simple mod that I'm asking for (no textures, dialogue, or writing required.) What I want is similar to the "No psychic guards" mods that were made for Oblivion. I locked myself in a room with a guy and shot him with a silenced pistol, but somehow everyone knew what I had done from the other side of the door. So I got the sandman perk since it said "silently" kill someone in their sleep, but as soon as someone discovered the body everyone turned hostile to me even though I was a ways away. Basically I want to alter the AI to make crime feel more realistic, here are some basic ideas (although if you want to do more that would be great.)

- If you are not seen committing a crime (and no one nearby hears gunshots) then there is no reaction (besides decreased Karma)

- Certain weapons are silent (Silenced Pistol, knives, and swords) and do not provoke a reaction unless a bystander sees you, or the victim cries out.

- Sandman kills, unless witnessed, are never attributed to you.

- If a felony crime (assault or murder) is seen by townspeople they won't forget about your crime for a very long time

I feel this will be a popular mod and will make the crime and punishment seem much more fitting, anyone want to work on it?

Maybe if you used time delay, so that if the body wasn't discovered within a certain time frame they wouldn't know it was you. Otherwise you could kill someone the moment you were out of sight, and have someone discover it a second afterward but not get caught, even though it would be blatantly obvious you'd done it.

Maybe if you used time delay, so that if the body wasn't discovered within a certain time frame they wouldn't know it was you. Otherwise you could kill someone the moment you were out of sight, and have someone discover it a second afterward but not get caught, even though it would be blatantly obvious you'd done it.

I wanted to keep it simple so as to attract more coders, but yes I agree with you on that. If it could be timed so that the body is labelled as "killed by player" for a brief amount of time then that could help prevent exploitation. But like I said I wanted to keep it simple for modders and adding timers and suspicion makes this more complicated.

I totally agree with you there, it is quite annoying when that happens. In fact, i feel that it's even worse in fallout then in oblivion

Its absolutely idiotic.

Also, I thought Sandman worked by actually pulling a melee weapon (like a knife), sneaking over to them, then Using them and its a menu option.

Well, I've had a few ideas for the Fallout cities and faction enforcement:

Entering Megaton/Rivet for the first time should be way more realistic. They should talk to you more, and if you have high bad karma (unlikely for Megaton), your entrance will be barred for a period of time. You could try to convince/bribe the guards, however. A minquest of sorts, like fetching the guards drugs or women.

Slavers are really strange. If you decide to kill the Slavers at the Lincoln Monument, the ones at paradise falls will still be friendly towards you. If you enslave people (such as Red or Flak), then go back to paradise falls, you can release them right in front of the guards, and they'll still be friendly to you (though they'll shoot the released prisoners). Flak and Red will forgive you (rather it seems they've forgotten you're the one that enslaved them) if you release them (even though you're the one who caught them), but they'll leave Paradise falls and disappear? I don't really know what happens to them, I think they keep walking to some place and are killed by wildlife. Many slaves you enslave don't appear at paradise falls, also rather odd. Enslaving people from Rivet and other places renders nothing. I'd love it if word slowly spread as you began to enslave people, or become more evil. People should be more wary of you if you're "legendary".

I totally agree with you there, it is quite annoying when that happens. In fact, i feel that it's even worse in fallout then in oblivion

Its absolutely idiotic.

Also, I thought Sandman worked by actually pulling a melee weapon (like a knife), sneaking over to them, then Using them and its a menu option.

That is how it works. My problem is that people realize that you killed them even if you use the sandman perk. Basically I sandman-killed the guard at the Vampire place then started walking away. I didn't see what happened (since I was a ways away) but I got a message saying that the Vampires were hostile to me and that I failed the quest. So I assume someone stumbled upon the body and instantly knew I had done it. I would like some reworking of AI so that if you are sneaking and no one sees you kill them then you get away with it and no one is alerted. This could add a new strategy to tradition of killing everyone in town. Stealthy people could try and kill everyone while they're sleeping without getting caught, great way to get EXP and negative karma.

Anyways it seems like there is interest in this idea, but no modders. Can someone please make this happen?

This would be pretty hard to implement (I'd assume, never done AI scripting) but, say you've killed everyone in a city/town and there are three people left. The two that are not you would either trust eachother (they've known eachother longer) or hate eachother. So they'd side, or side with you. And when you're least expecting it, they'd go hostile.

This would be pretty hard to implement (I'd assume, never done AI scripting) but, say you've killed everyone in a city/town and there are three people left. The two that are not you would either trust eachother (they've known eachother longer) or hate eachother. So they'd side, or side with you. And when you're least expecting it, they'd go hostile.

Well I don't mean totally redoing the AI to realize everyone is dead and suspect residents of the town. I just mean that if you could kill someone without alerting the others (with sandman) it would give a stealthy alternative to getting into a huge firefight with everyone. I just wish that it was possible to get away with murder because in the world of Fallout it should be.

Archived