The Manhatten Project

MattKaiser

I could make central park and the area around it a huge hole. That vault idea is a good one it would be a fun quest. The underground would be very dence and heavally populated and dangerous. I was planning to have the suspended city suspended from a skyscraper that has tiped over into the one across the street. A suspended town would be much safer than one on the ground, as for the shooting problem it would be worse on the ground beacuse the bad guys could shoot down on the town from the buildings. And a suspended town would just be awsome. I would gess they used a harpoon gun to get cables in one window and out the next one then climed up and hoisted up larger cables to support the town. i was thinking something hammok style maybe. I like the upperclass idea. I plan to add a harpoon gun to this mod at this place. As for weather the building could withstand a town hanging from it, probubly not but it would be cool (its fallout)

The vertabird would be similar to the one in-game but more rundown and beat up (it's owned by a wasteland settlement and used to go from washington to NY)Maybe some makeshift parts.

I think i will make times squair the local Bos base (how could they resist all those big screen displays) maybe they roofed the place over and turned it into a big interior space with Bos info on all the old advertising screens. (this would be easier to mod)

These are just loose suggestions do whatever feels right.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im regards to the building not being strong enough. . .they would have been built or renovated around say 2065. . .not only much more advanced building tecniques but its an alternate future therefore their building methods are prolly ten times better as a result. . .there i solved your prolem. . .

Since we haven't heard from the OP, I'm starting work on an over-arching story for the area. Just to give some basic ideas...

1. Nuke detonation in the center of the financial district.

2. The top of the Empire State building separated and can now be found in Central Park (pretty much upside down).

3. New Town strung up across the remains of the Brooklyn bridge.

4. The "Chryslus" building separated in two from the blast, sending it crashing onto adjacent buildings. It's now suspended between 2 or three other buildings. Slavers have established a base of operations there, running cables to increase stability and heavily trapping the entrances - one building has elevator access, another has fire escape access.

5. BoS has established a detachment base in the remains of Rockefeller plaza.

6. Grand Central Station is now a small town populated mostly by ghouls.

I'll give more of a comprehensive overview once I've got an organized draft done.

If anybody is interested here is what I am currently working on for this project: The silos the place where you hitch a ride to NY on the virtabird.

The Silos will be a self contained city It will have a water treatment plant, vegitable farm, animal farm (small mirelurks. giant lobster traps), lower class, upperclass, market, great chamber, vertabird port with repair area, R & D lab and the mayor's home. The seven main missile bays will each be a city district. The lowerclass district is very close to completion, it has about 10 buildings in the huge tube, supported bt cables (custom model) girders whatever else you could use to hold up a building. All the buildings are conected by ramshackle makeshift walkways. The main chamber will be ringed by catwalks (custom model) it will have a podium in the center near the bottom of the cylinder. The vertabird port will be a vertabird port (smaller cylinder) the other vertabird ports will be converted into the repair area, R&D and Mayor's house.

The city was started by people that took refuge in the huge silos (obviously emptied in order to blow china to bits). The city has survived by being hidden underground and burying most of the doors. Only the main entrance, vertabird launch area and the manhole cover the player enters will be left open. Beacuse of the cities size (it's HUGE) it has technology most cities could not maintain like the elaborate water treatment and farming system and the virtabird port. Each silo is a seperate cell to save on system resources.

The player will discover a manhole cover in the wastes on a hill (the buried missile bay doors). The player will fight through a dungion using the Enclave base tile set (I will heavely modify it to be beat up and dirty with doors that don't open properly and stuff like that). The player will eventually emerge in a large pipe and walk through it and push open a grate (will be a havok object) which will tumble into the market district the player then can jump down into the market. Then stuff will happen you find the main entrance and the virtabird pilot. I was thinking the pilot could say something like "in case of an emergancy jump out and hope you land in something soft!"

I started with the most complex chamber (beacuse it is made out of random junk) first so the rest of the city should be realatively quick. It will take a while to set up the NPCs. I will make a lot of generic ones at first then we can modify them when we need them.

will be pretty swish to quest at a large town to finally give you the feeling that you 'finished off' DC, then move on to NY

I know the nuke silo is what its meant to be like, but the only nukes i seen in fallout are kinda......retro looking. They dont seem like they come from silos rather dropped from bigass aircraft.

I figured the one in Megaton was a one off, but then i found the bomb storage in the north, then i went to a communications relay where i read about a orbital nuking satallite. (which incidently i activated to little effect).

Whatever, maybe i should just shut-the-fudge up

Maybe the silo was for launching military spy satellites. Or even nuke launching satellites ;) (they had to get there somehow) I will try to upload some pictures once I fix my computer cooling system (using my parents apple right now)

I have a doodle that I made though.

Archived