Some questions...

AzirAphale001

Okay, two questions.

First of all. Is it possible to install Oblivion on a computer (laptop) that doesn't meet the minimum requirements and then add some alternative texture and mesh packs for lower end machines?

Secondly, if the above is not possible, is it possible to run the CS without having Oblivion installed?

Okay, two questions.

First of all. Is it possible to install Oblivion on a computer (laptop) that doesn't meet the minimum requirements and then add some alternative texture and mesh packs for lower end machines?

Secondly, if the above is not possible, is it possible to run the CS without having Oblivion installed?

The CS does not work for me on my laptop if I don't have a working copy of Oblivion installed.

However:

Although my laptop will not run Oblivion, I can install it anyway, and use the CS. I have toyed with the idea of setting up an "oldblivion" on it, but I cba at this time. Just add the plugins you are modifying as normal. The game won't load but the CS will.

The first time I tried to install Oblivion on my laptop is completely crashed it. I'll try again tonight and see if it works now. Thanks for your input.

The first time I tried to install Oblivion on my laptop is completely crashed it. I'll try again tonight and see if it works now. Thanks for your input.

What do you mean "it completely crashed it"?

If you don't have enough hard drive space for the default installation, that could make your computer not be able to boot or "completely crash it", but I can't think of any other reason off hand.

Trying to Run Oblivion completely crashes Oblivion on the laptop. But the laptop itself works fine.

It got to about 50% complete then the screen went black. Nothing worked, not ever turning it off. I had to leave it for about a week before it started working again. As I say, I'll try again tonight.

It got to about 50% complete then the screen went black. Nothing worked, not ever turning it off. I had to leave it for about a week before it started working again. As I say, I'll try again tonight.

Actually that sounds like a video card issue.. May want to be sure you've updated your video drivers before trying another install.

Although there are some things like Oldblivion and Streamline to help allow older computers to play the game, they will not help with running the CS. Unfortunately, some parts of the CS can actually be more resource demanding than the game depending on what areas of your system you are lacking.

The best advise would be to really just try and save up enough to either upgrade or buy a new computer. For the most part, any system which cannot run Oblivion, won't be able to run most other new games, so you will likely have to upgrade no matter what if you want to play any newer games. As this is a laptop, you're pretty much SOL on that end. As much as you may want to be able to do modding while on vacation, or lunch break, you may not have that option.

Archived