Unmodded SSE - issues with lighting and shadows

TQWorld

Imaginator is a simple, low demand mod that allows the player to adjust brightness, contrast, and saturation. I highly recommend it, regardless of any other lighting/etc mods you eventually add. It's a real "unsung hero" mod (very few endorsements considering its utility and the length fo time it's been on Nexus). Everyone seems to chase the most expensive SOA video card and GPU intensive ENBs, but there's a lot you can do to make the scenics better jsut with simple controls the game *should have been designed to automatically include... (and it's useful with or without any other visual enhancement(s))

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4577

- I am not the author nor even associated, just a fan of the mod.

Ok then...here's my advise if that's the case: replace the body textures with something a bit less grimy and overblown on the shadow work, and while you're at it, ditch whichever enb makes it look like an old school cartoon?

As I said, (or should have) even with an enb, if you can't control the overall video output levels (in game), you're at the mercy of someone else's idea of right.

Good luck

Hi and thanks. Sorry if I wasn't clear. The image posted is pure vanilla. No ENB, shaders or mods of any kind. I want to get the lighting/shadow issues in the base vanilla game resolved before I begin modding because it does carry over. ENBs do make it a little better, but it still exists and looks terrible.

The vanilla game characteristics can't be magically solved without some sort of modding (whether using literal "mod" installations or by using console or ini file adjustments). The stock game has terribly primitive character models (skin textures, skeleton, faces are atrocious, etc). Same goes for lighting. It's "fixed" and not all that sophisticated by present standards/expectations. (even if it has the lower-level capability of being adjusted via console and ini to *some degree).

In fact, that's why people mod.

Of course, you can adjust the game brightness in the settings MCM in game, but that's just a first order adjustment. Personally I found it all but useless except to get me through the first few levels when I first started playing and couldn't see in dungeons and cranked it to max.