[REQ] AR-15/M-16 mesh/texture

einherjrar

BETA RELEASE: 1/3/09 UPDATE v1.1 with 5 skins to choose from.

:ninja: ===================================== :ninja:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2408

:ninja: ===================================== :ninja:

While Fallout 1/2 were the games that drew my attention to the game series (I played through both many multiple times), the Fallout game I replayed the most was Fallout Tactics:BoS, mostly because the models and names of the weapons were the most familiar to me.

Now that the GECK has been released all weapon characteristics can be altered easily, but the models are still created in graphic utilities that have never been friendly to me. Maybe it's because I was once an accountant but never an artist. *shrug*

Also, it's always bothered me that the american assault rifle is either a hk91/hk33/G3, or ithere are no surviving copies of in the US.

Anyway, since search for "m16" "M4" and "AR-15" came up with zero entries, I started this thread. I'm actually a bit surprised that there isn't an AR-15/M16 mod out already.

Anyway, a full mod would be helpful, but a simple mesh/texture would be good enough for me!

M-16 - full size auto

M4 - carbine auto

AR-15 - civilian semi

I'd be super grateful for a skin which is modeled after an american assault rifle skin which really should have been the default assault rifle in vanilla!

Other Fallout Tactics weapon mesh/texture I would like to see: "()" = animation set

Glock 17 (1handed pistol)

M-14/M21/M1a (2handed rifle)

MP5/SP89 mesh/texture (1h/2handed automatic)

Uzi/Mac-10 - (1h/2h automatic)

M82 Barrett (2h rifle)

M60 HMG (2h auto)

M249 SAW (2h auto)

M2 Browning (minigun)

The Barrett is in the works already, the M249 and M2 have each been requested twice and the AR series have all been brought up multiple times. I think it's inevitable that someone will make these weapons sooner or later.

UPDATE for those hopeful for an M16 or AR15 in Fallout 3;

Within a day or two of making the OP, I had read many of the other requests and saw what most people were requesting, supporting, or modding; stuff like the M82 Barrett (OMG), M2 browning (Ma Deuce!), grenade launchers, lazer bazookas and other big boy super toys; you know, the exciting stuff. Unfortunately it seems that the M16, being more or less humdrum after years of FPS popularity and exploitation, is rather low on the list for professional attention.

I am not a professional, but I have been giving it my attention;

It's been a few years since I've modded anything (I cut my teeth on WOLF3D :cool: ), but I'm taking a crack at this one. I'm dead tired of every 5th raider and mutant ambushing me with what I feel should have been the American assault rifle, the AR15/M16 (which I'm pretty sure there are more of in the united states than any other assault rifle <civilian as well as military>).

That being said:

I'd like to tentatively announce that I have an M16/AR15 mod that is close to completion.

This is still a work in progress:

Here's what I've accomplished: Triumph!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

MESH -- I have successfully replaced the 3d mesh of the vanilla assault rifle with an imported 3d model of an M16 (M4 to be exact). Took longer than it should have due to problems with NifSkope and other tools writing to the newer .NIF versions and outdated plugins for my 3dmodelers.

A) It imports into the game and is playable.

B1) It fires nicely (projectiles do not exit projectilenode at strange angles from gun towards cross hair)

B2) it fires consistently (there is no sputtering when firing, animation link is done through GECK (ie: no work to be done on my end))

C) Minimal clipping errors (except for thumb on the heat-shield it's no worse than the standard models, could be corrected by scaling)

D) Magazine Reloading (magazine reloading syncs with character animation)

E) Ejecting empty shells (edited animation position to appear from correct location)

F) Charging handle animation after reload (Something I'm not likely to do anything about, would have to edit .kf :yucky: animation, whole new ball of wax).

*) Obviously any characteristic (spread, ROF, damage, ammo, ect) can be changed with the GECK easily to suit taste or balance if needed or desired. I've decided not to concern myself with this until the skin is imported completely and correctly, if at all.

Here is what I'm working on right now: Trials.

--------------------------------------------------------------

TEXTURE - I've only been semi-successful in importing the texture. Nifskope, GECK, and F3 have some real problems viewing older (?) versions of .BMP and .TGA. The texture is there; 3dmax sees it, photoshop sees it, milkshape can see it with some modification to its settings.. MSPaint sees it! Attempts to simply open and resave to update file version have not been successful.

This stumpted me for two days, I tried .dds converters, I tried half a dozen compilers/decompilers, updated plugins, and more. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't display in the first place. I burned out on trying over and over, and cooled the project for a day or two.

Tonight with a cooler head, finally, I think I've fixed this by copy/pasting the (outdated?) image I want .BMP/.TGA in photoshop onto/over an image file whose version is apparently visible. This sounds like a more obvious solution than it was, as I couldn't nail down why the file image was invisible or otherwise unviewable in GECK, NifSkope, and F3. Once I discovered that it appeared indeed to be some aspect of the file and not the image itself, it was simple to fix. Simple? well...hmm.. Sure. Simple. Further development could be more complicated as texture is broken into 4 or 5 pieces (as is/was the original mesh). It could also be super easy, or really complicated.

Late tonight, I'll start on tomorrow.

I have just recently been successful in applying the texture to the gun (or the part I was working with anyway). I hope to have a fully textured and imported model as early as dec 22rd, but nearly every step of this project has had every one of my time estimates wither on the vine as new complications arise. To be candid, when I first successfully imported the mesh without error I thought I had cleared the largest hurdle, then I had immediate problems importing textures which shut things (and me) down for a couple days.

The Immediate Future:

Some general information about the materials used, and;

What needs to happen before I can release this mod!:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot 3d model. If I drew a stick figure, you wouldn't recognize it, probably think I spelled 'OK' vertically.

I also cannot texture. I could rip photo images (hmmmm...), but I lack the skills (possibly tools as well) to create these.

Before I can release this mod, I will have to find another skin (mesh and texture) whose creator will permit me to use their artistic material in a non-profit mod which will be released to the nexus community with their full credit given. It's possible that the modeler of the one I'm using now would consent, but the model file has been floating around on my machine for over a year now. I wouldn't know how to contact them even if I could find out who made it. Now that I've ironed out the major kinks of the process, I can have a new skin in the game within minutes sans texture. Once I manage to workaround the texture import hiccup (which may not be needed for newer skins), I could potentially have it posted within a day.

If one of you is a modeler, are on good terms with a modeler, or have a model with skin that is released for public use for any AR style rifle, post a link or (even better) a letter of permission from the owner with their terms of distribution, I don't need to take credit for work that's done by other people.

:ermm: If desired, I can post screenshots of the working M16 ingame I have right now.

Screenshots. 3 of em, sorry about the lighting in the screenshots, they turned out darker than they were ingame.

I'dve uploaded 3-4 more, but there is an attachment limit. These were more or less the best shots I had anyway.

Ingame, the texture will change (flicker) depending on the position you view the weapon at. since there is no default texture loaded, it appears to borrow from nearby textures, or textures that are in the line of sight of player perspective (which is why no two screenshots display the same texture). I can correct this by choosing any single texture to apply from the FO3 file dump, but I want the original texture (still working on it).

Some of the textures it borrows tempt me to just apply an object game texture like, dirty wall, wood, or metal; and call it a camo skin, but I talk myself out of it everytime as a 'lazy idea' and 'the last thing I want to do'.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm still plugging away at this thing.

Not like I got much else to do (I'm 'snowed in' @ my home in NW Oregon).

EDIT: PS - don't worry about the ejection PORT and forward ASSIST being on the wrong side (should be on right), I've found how to mirror the object to correct the flip. (mag release, safety, bolt release also on wrong side in screenies, don't worry about it I'll fix it with the next model I import.)

Screenshots. 3 of em, sorry about the lighting in the screenshots, they turned out darker than they were ingame.

I'dve uploaded 3-4 more, but there is an attachment limit. These were more or less the best shots I had anyway.

Ingame, the texture will change (flicker) depending on the position you view the weapon at. since there is no default texture loaded, it appears to borrow from nearby textures, or textures that are in the line of sight of player perspective (which is why no two screenshots display the same texture). I can correct this by choosing any single texture to apply from the FO3 file dump, but I want the original texture (still working on it).

Some of the textures it borrows tempt me to just apply an object game texture like, dirty wall, wood, or metal; and call it a camo skin, but I talk myself out of it everytime as a 'lazy idea' and 'the last thing I want to do'.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm still plugging away at this thing.

Not like I got much else to do (I'm 'snowed in' @ my home in NW Oregon).

EDIT: PS - don't worry about the ejection PORT and forward ASSIST being on the wrong side (should be on right), I've found how to mirror the object to correct the flip. (mag release, safety, bolt release also on wrong side in screenies, don't worry about it I'll fix it with the next model I import.)

Great work! Though you are right about weapons like the barret having high demand (my humble request for it is the most popular request topic in this entire sub forum -- 22 pages, and counting) I am very glad you are putting effort into a weapon like this. Dont let the haters get you down saying its done way too much. The M4/M16 are very popular rifles despite all the gamers getting sick of their appearance. Kudos to you.

However. That texture. I know you are likely going for the 200+ year old look. But holy god i dont think a bullet would make it through the barrel without grinding to a spark flying halt with that much rust and dirt on the entire model. It might just be an early v.01 texture i know. Maybe one thing you can do if you cant or dont intend on doing anything better is posting the UV's publicly so others May release retextures of it. Im quite sure thats whats gonna happen with the Barret, and since this is a MODDING community, i think that all custom weapons for this game really should have the UV's publicly posted.

Great work on the whole thing so far. I hope to see its completion. :thumbsup:

*Edit* I took a closer look at the texture to make sure. I think it looks more like desert camo in one of the pictures. If it is camo then disregard my comments concerning the texture itself. :sweat:

Ya know there is a way to make weapons burst so the M-16 doesn't have to be full auto.

The M16-A2 which is standard issue in the US army has no full-auto.

The M4 which isn't standard issue does have a full-auto.

Also I don't know if it's too late to point this out but the ejection port is on the wrong side. It should be on the right side of the gun such that the shells don't fly into the user's face. It's not all that important though. It's just something I notice a lot in video games in general.

Archived