New Video Card Advice

690 is sexy but that bit about the 680 is laughable.

How is it laughable? the AMD cards only win in benchmarks, but real life situations are what matter. The most honest answer in this entire thread came from Rennn.

Personally having seen first hand both cards (7970 ghz edition and EVGA 680) I would take the 680. 12.11 drivers were good, but there are still some issues with the cards drivers for older games. And although it is nice the power AMD got out of their cards they did it by simply pushing as many watts as they could through it. Nvidia cards do a little bit more (depending on what you are doing of course) with less.

How is it laughable? the AMD cards only win in benchmarks, but real life situations are what matter. The most honest answer in this entire thread came from Rennn.

Personally having seen first hand both cards (7970 ghz edition and EVGA 680) I would take the 680. 12.11 drivers were good, but there are still some issues with the cards drivers for older games. And although it is nice the power AMD got out of their cards they did it by simply pushing as many watts as they could through it. Nvidia cards do a little bit more (depending on what you are doing of course) with less.

Here is a heads up between the two arguably fastest single GPU cards from each team.

Asus ROG Matrix HD 7970 Platinum vs MSI N680GTX Lightning

They trade blows but the 7970 is generally faster. It does not matter how they get there to me. The watts argument is nuts. It is like not paying the Saints defense bonuses for doing exceptionally well at what they were hired to do. Best single card is what I wanted so I bought an Asus Matrix 7970 Platinum (1200/1800 without touching voltage, BAM! as Emeril would say). As to the "little bit more with less", didn't ATi trademark that when the 9800Pro trounced the 5800Ultra? Stuff is coming full circle it seems.