Realistic Ammo Condition & Consequences: misfires, jams, etc

SpiderJerusalem

I know the topic of realistic weapon condition has come up before, but specifically, I think it could be interesting to see something done with ammunition specifically.

Why? Because after hundreds of years, it is doubtful that any bullets one finds lying around can be expected to function properly, if at all. IRL, people are advised to store their ammo in clean & dry conditions, etc, and even then are encouraged not to keep it longer than a few months (I'm sure this varies).

So anyway, the idea is this: have an ammunition condition (like a percentage) that will impact whether it even works, and if it does work, what chance it has of actually firing properly, or causing a jam or misfire, or even a catastrophic misfire.

One could also include (with this or some other mod) of course the ability to make ammo one's self, so it is as fresh as possible.

The FUN part as I see it would be when in a firefight with someone or something (like a supermutant), THEIR shots would be however likely to misfire or jam their weapons, just as yours would if you're using old ammo, which would introduce an element of randomness to make things that much more interesting. It would be pretty cool to be in a losing battle, for example, and to suddenly have the opponents pipe gun blow up in their face because of old ammo.

Anyway, just an idea. I'm sure the survival players out there would be interested in an extra element of realism like this.

And yeah, ideally we'd have both ammo AND weapon conditions, but at the very least I think ammo would be more realistic given the chemicals & time/conditions involved (you can always clean a gun, but I doubt there's any way to clean/fix old ammunition...?).

Edited by SpiderJerusalem