NMM work around!

mewfii

OK so I have been looking at everyone elses problems with NMM right now, even posts with a link to the "PROBLEM Q&A THREAD" and did all the numbers...........................still does not work!!!

So is it still safe, say, not to use NMM right now to download and install files, but maybe just to launch FONV? Maybe because you have NVSE and/or FONV4GB installed?

And FOMM...you can't log in to update FOMODS, but you can still look for conflicts and use the built in BOSS function that actually works...BOSS the stand alone just shows you the right sort order, FOMM BOSS actually fixes the sort order, but you can't use it to load FONV...something is making it go to error...

Oh and FONVEDIT...DO NOT ("DISABLE" "UNDELETE") OR ("DELETE IDENTICAL TO MASTER")...because if you think you can just go "Oh I'll go to the game properties in Steam and verify the files"...People are just trolling you....it will destroy your game!

I just use FONVEDIT to load my files, it also has a sort function...it will crash if your files are not in the right place...but...last few lines it will tell you, at just two files at a time, where these two files should be, either before or after one of them...

Now here it's safe to say you should right now load mods like this:

Manual install each mod -> Run through stand alone BOSS -> Then load up FOMM -> Check for new load order updates under the help menu -> check if Archive Invalidation is on, turn it off then on -> Check for conflicts -> BOSS auto sort, then check Sort report -> Close FOMM, load NMM -> Again check if Archive Invalidation is on, turn it off then on -> Then finally load the game through NVSE...should work...barely...

So my real question is, should you add things manually, then get NVSE and/or FONV4GBand run through them

The manual install without using NMM has always been available. And is just as safe as it has always been. NMM does not replace the manual method, it just makes it simpler to download and install mods for those who don't know the older manual way. NMM does work for a large majority of users. :thumbsup:

I prefer the manual download - I have control over where the mod is downloaded to, and can create my own sort method using simple file structure - right down to some mods get their own sub folder in my download folder, while other simpler mods get dumped into a common subfolder for that type of mod. Then I use NMM to install in Skyrim. but not in Oblivion where many of my mods were downloaded long before NMM and are in OMOD format and installed through OBMM already.

BOSS & Wrye Bash works with either method.

The manual install without using NMM has always been available. And is just as safe as it has always been. NMM does not replace the manual method, it just makes it simpler to download and install mods for those who don't know the older manual way. NMM does work for a large majority of users. :thumbsup:

I prefer the manual download - I have control over where the mod is downloaded to, and can create my own sort method using simple file structure - right down to some mods get their own sub folder in my download folder, while other simpler mods get dumped into a common subfolder for that type of mod. Then I use NMM to install in Skyrim. but not in Oblivion where many of my mods were downloaded long before NMM and are in OMOD format and installed through OBMM already.

BOSS & Wrye Bash works with either method.

PS: I've tried Wrye Bash but never understood it...how is one suppose to use it...please, if there are tutorials for it, text would work for me, not just video...

Ok so if I want to download my files, what should I sort the downloads in? I mean when going through the site, which search method should I use?

Basically I want mods that have been updated recently, downloaded a lot, and has a bunch of endorsements...oh and adult mods first...

How anyone can use NMM has got me stumped. Wrye, FOMM and Manual installing is the way to go", at then you KNOW your install. Not knocking Nmm but personally i'm a man of manual labor, i craft my own world.

Wrye is heaps easy to use if you know the basics, and only the basics is enough to success with it.

FNVEdit - A lot harder to use but if you understand the game then once you have a look through it patching the basic stuff and identifying problem conflicts is easy, then over time you master it. "Deleting identical to master records" isn't so much a mistake either it's for cleaning mods of dirty edits and is quite useful DEPENDING on the mod your cleaning. Don't try and clean mods like FOOK through this method, it will likely kill it. Smaller mods are all OK and i'm not totally sure about NV but cleaning the DLCs shouldn't cause any problems, and the reason why i say i'm unsure about that is because i haven't run into any problems after about 6 hours of heavily modded play.

Also the Filtering system is fantastic and i can't live without it, quick and easy identification of conflicts allows for sweet and easy patching.

About organising your mods: make a folder and categorize your downloads similar to the Nexus setup, it will make it easier in the end. You will have to choose which mods you want and find out compatibility yourself but be sure of one thing: You will need to do a lot of research.

If you have any specific questions feel free to swing them my way, i don't want to rave on to much otherwise i'll end up writing a tutorial and I don't have that sort of time, I've got NV to play :).