Problems with high end systems and New Vegas

SMB92

Hi all,

I've decided to play NV again and so far i've got as far as installing all the HD retexture mods (NMCs, Hectrol etc etc) when i was brought to a standstill on the first run..... The old issue of Z Fighting O.O!!!! I have spent 36 hours straight (with toiletbreaks and little to eat) trying every possible combo of INI tweaks (and not just from the tweakguides.net guide) and Catalyst settings (12.10) only to find that the better the quality the worse it became, but the better NV run!!!! I do have a mad system (check my sig) but i just can't get my head around this so i'm starting this topic to try and get a collection of information about what works for who and also other tweaks that may be good for high end machines. I've searched all of google to no avail with the Z fighting but i have seen some people comment in various places that they have fixed their own but didn't post the fix. Also in my searching the only decent guide is the Tweakguides.net guide but even then it's not that comprehensive for my taste.

So please if you have a high end system and you know some things that others might not including myself, post it here!

So far i've managed to find a coupkle of things worth changing in the INIs, here they are:

fLandLOfadeSeconds=15 under General/Display - When you change the timescale in game terrain textures tend to take long time to transition to full texture as you walk through the wasteland, this setting when changed to HALF of your selected timescale fixes that problem. I managed to find this suggestion on a forum somewhere but i have never seen it posted in any guide. This should be changed in all 3 of the INI files.

iCanopyShadowScale=512 under SpeedTree - I have never seen this posted in a guide but as it might suggest it changes the Canopy shadow resolution. A setting of 2048 goes well on my system. Also i believe you can find the "canopy shadows on grass"setting under this section.

iNumHWThreads - This line is NOT in any of the default INIs - As mentioned on Tweakguides.net guide this setting can be added at the bottom of the Display section of Fallout.ini and it is for specifying the amount of cores you want NV to use, so in my case i have the 3960x with 6 physical cores or 12 in Hyperthread (which i don't use) so i set this to 6 and played for about 2 hours and actually found that my CPU was utilised 10-20% more than before. It is said it can cause game instability and also said to prevent certain freezes, in my experience it works great. Also a setting of 6 under iNumHavokThreads (found in Configator also) goes well.

Well that's my testing so far, i'ma go add FOOK, PN, WMX, EVE, AWOP, MoMod and a plethora of others to my LO and i will post my findings here with said settings and a few others i've been testing.

Thanks for reading, hope you find some of these useful and hopefully we can get some more knowledge added to this thread. If anyone has anything to add about their experiences or knowledge please do!!!

No takers? Anyway i'm also looking for a good texture/palette replacer for DistantLOD Terrain if anyone knows of one, i've had a look around and can't say i've found a good one. Sick of looking at patchy ground especially from places like Outpost.

So far i've used NMCs, Ojo and Poco but didn't really like it much. Any suggestions welcome.

• 5 weeks later...

Well we know one thing: Z-Fighting is here to stay on Ultra settings. Too many problems with this game, why do i still love it...

I hear ya. Got to be the best game of all times, I think it is the ability to alter the game add new quest and etc. Plus it give them free ideas to use without paying others. I just hope the come out with a Fallout 5

Actually Fallout 4 :), it's been patented on the 13th of January by Bethesda - see my thread here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/916154-fallout-4-patented-what-we-wanna-see-brought-over-from-nv/

I hope they fix the game too, fingers crossed :)