[WIP] New Vegas Bounties Update

Guest deleted2159825

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's way too many caps being awarded, between Bounties I and II and and the vanilla game most players are probably swimming in caps. I really liked Longknife's suggestion on the official forums, a chance for a unique weapon, armor or weapon mod to appear in the inventory of a bounty. It would give a bit more of an incentive than just more caps. I know that would be more of an incentive to me because if it was just caps I would probably only mess with the infinite bounties for a while before getting bored. Yes it would be more work to create unique items but in the end I think it would be far better received. If you have trouble coming up with ideas for unique items then that's what forums are for, get others to help with ideas as long as they aren't absurd or unbalanced god weapons/armor.

Of course you could still award some caps or perhaps a selections of rewards such as ammo or chems. Sort of like how the rewards were done when you brought the Outcasts tech in Fallout 3. There's also a mod for Fallout 3 called The Regulators - Missions for the Lawbringer that IIRC had such a reward system.

A suggestion you might want to think about, make the "Time to Kill" infinite bounties an optional add-on to Bounties II. People that want it can download and install it and people that think they wouldn't bother with it much (especially if the rewards were just plain ol' caps and too many at that) won't have to bother with it nor the have quest/script running in the background. It could also help avoid potential conflicts. Also take care where some bounties are placed, for example some players out there use Wolfhorn Ranch, Harper's Shack or Abandoned Shack near Yangtze Memorial as homes.

Edited by ghostnull

Guest deleted2159825

"Recurring Nightmare"

Lol, that might capture the essence of some radiant quests. :smile:

Thanks for all the feedback!

EDIT: Right now I'm going with "Time to Kill". Using "A Time to Kill" was simply an error born of exhaustion and inebriation last night.

Edited by someguy2000

sounds like an 80's action movie, but whatever.

toying with the term "radiant" for puns or such like is giving me a head ache.

how about ;

"The End of The Tunnel"

"Downcast Seraphim"

"Beacons"

"Distant Lanterns"

"New Dawn Fades"

"... At The Moon"

"Finger Bang"

"A Bird Flipped"

"The Finger of Suspicion"

"Pope John Paul II"

"NCR Latent Print Database"

"Ballad of a Forensic Analyst"

Guest deleted2159825

sounds like an 80's action movie, but whatever.

Haha, that's actually what I'm shooting for -

, after all.

Here's the weekly update:

- The prototype radiant quest is in place, though I still need to debug some of the code. Overall, it's working fairly well, though I'll need to adjust the spawn ratios, as most of the targets are begin staged in the northern half of the map. I'm leaning toward removing the radiant quest in an optional plugin that will be available along with the update, but the primary download will include it.

That's it, more or less. I aimed to make the system over the weekend, and I did just that. In the meantime, I'm continuing my work on Russell. Thanks for all the feedback and support.

Guest deleted2159825

Another update:

After watching some gameplay of RD:R (Sweet Jesus, when is Rockstar gonna port that thing to pc?), I finally realized that a more efficient 'capture' system is begging to be implemented for most of the bounties (radiant and forthcoming uniques):

- If the player can knock a target unconscious, he/she should have the opportunity to place a collar on the npc in question (this is accomplished through an "OnActivate" menu). It's not terribly difficult to script, and should have been implemented from the beginning (with some exceptions for unique bounties).

I've been developing my scripting a lot in the last six months, and this would be a nifty addition to the mod, as I've always gotten the impression that many players would appreciate the option to capture more live targets (if nothing else, it pays better). I have yet to try this in the engine, but I've implemented much more complicated NPC scripts and menus for Firebase Zulu already. I'm just kicking myself for not making it available from the outset. Live and learn.

One thing, though - no guarantees on making this available for all the pre-existing unique bounties. That would require changing the posters. However, the radiant system should have this feature, with the exception of certain targets (supermutants, etc.). I may have to adjust the 48-hour time limit (or reset it when the player slaps the collar on).

I also have to reiterate that radiant bounty targets do not have quest markers, as they are not persistent references in the engine - this means that a captured bounty can be slain by critters/hostile npc's out of sight, leaving the player little prospect of finding the target's finger. I suppose it could be factored into the decision of whether or not to take them alive. This is one of those moments when I pine for some manner of transportation, be it bikes or some type of mutated equid.

okay, first of all {!!!!!!} not all westerns were on any kind of a par with the actioners of the eighties. If anything, the eighties spent ten or so years trying to convince everyone that chuck-norris-in-anything was the same thing as charles-bronson-in-onceuponatimeinthewest.

and just so we're clear on what junior meant; in the world of mob hitmen, to "cowboy" something means to walk in guns blazing and leave a mess as a message, as opposed to the stealthboy/motherdarkness/throwingknife route of things

I did suggest you check out the movie "Straight-to-Hell". It is pure "wild wasteland", as much so as Alejandro Jodorosky's "El Topo". Those are real westerns. any western that drinks whiskey but doesn't chew peyote is essentially a broadway musical. [Excuse me, I am a snake eating fire.]

bravo [opera, not military] on adding the arrest system. actually wondered a long time ago why you didn;t have that, then forgot, so thank god one of the million people who might have thought of it finally wrote it down and remembered it. i've always been in favour of any model being a fully implemented item. how about a map marker on each collar?

Red dead will likely come in the form of a different title, some day. In the mean time, there are several mods for rideable animals for fallout. surely some smart little genius could sculpt a tall skinny brahmin. i don't know if xre has bikes yet, but its cars are reasonable and its almost there with the verts.

[LOL - you'll get a kick out of this; playing spec ops the line the other day, Rooster sprang to mind.]

Edited by johannfingermusch

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just wanted to say, your mods are probably the best that the Nexus has too offer.

But, to go back and enhance them, and make them even better? That just knocks my socks off.

Been looking forward too these releases since feburary, and I'll continue too.

Thanks for everything you do, and screw the naysayers, you're doing this for free and you do it damned well!