Help with transparency/shadows in Nifskope

doctorhr2

I have a custom object with a lamp that I want to make semi-transparent, but when I set the NiAlphaproperty to 4845 and 128 respectively, it turns the lamp transparent but the object casts no shadow!. If I go to a setting that enables the shadow, then I lose my transparent lamp! I have experimented with a few settings but with no joy. Can anyone help, please?

I seem to be the only person who has run across this problem.

I went back to Max and detached the parts of the mesh I want to be transparent from the main mesh, thinking that in Nifskope I could apply a different NiAlphaProperty to it. It worked in Nifskope but when I tried to preview in CK, the entire mesh was opaque! I went back and checked every value against my original working model and all seems correct, so there is something I'm not doing!

I did wonder if it was something to do with two different meshes in one model using the same tex map (maybe I need to rename it?).

I was at a loss as none of the buildings in Skyrim have transparent windows, for obvious reasons. Then at nearly 2am in bed I thought 'Display cases!' The only thing I can think of in Skyrim that has a solid and transparent texture in one model (can't remember if it casts a shadow though). So this evening I will examine the mesh and textures in Nifskope and Photoshop and see if I can crack this.

Will post any findings in case anyone else runs into this problem.

Result!! After much head bashing/scratching I have cracked it. It was such a simple thing too.

I got to the point where the model was showing up in the CK Preview but crashing CK when I tried to import it... and all because I had neglected to follow the naming convention for the meshes. Not a problem when you're dealing with a single mesh, but models with more than one mesh have to share the same name i.e. mesh:0, mesh:1 - whatever you like so long as the meshes are identically named and individually numbered; which I had forgotten to do in 3DS Max!

Lesson learnt!