How can I add a reload sound to a custom weapon?

VikingII

VikingII - Hello!

"But there are mods who add reload sounds, how do they do? "

They either replace an existing Reload animation (there are only a few hard coded slots available).

Or the better option, use scripting to add their own custom reload sounds like this mod:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/8983

A good toutorial on how to add custom reloads can be found here:

http://www.svartberg.com/tutorials/fallout3_customreload/customreload.html

The scripted method basically detects when the weapon it's attached to is using a Reload & substitutes the new added reload instead.

The sound that is played during reload is set within the animation file (.kf).

If you open up a weapons animation .kf in Nifskope, you scroll down to the bottom & expand the NiTextKeyExtraData. Within that you will see, in the bottom Block Details window, a heading called "Text Keys" within that are several Text Key settings & one of them will have the sound file set.

That sound corresponds to a sound that's been set up in GECK.

You could copy a default weapon reload that has the animation you want, add your new sound in GECK & change the copied animation file's sound within Nifskope to your new one.

Then you'd set up a script to use the new reload animation as in the above example.

This sounds really complex when you try to explain but It's not as bad as I made it sound. :)

I followed that guide a while back before I really new my way around scripting & got it working quite quickly.

I've not replaced a reload myself yet though it seems straight forward.

I'd suggest following that guide just to get the feel of it & looking at that linked mod & checking it's files to get a first hand feel for what I'm trying to describe here.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa