Smooth ways to prevent vendors from selling displayed items?

Crystalking52

Greetings, something that always bugged me about vendors were the stores looking so much more barren after they sell their displayed items. I was wondering what might be a smooth way of preventing them from selling the displayed items? I'm thinking the best way is to replace their individual ownership with their faction's ownership instead (example: Chet in Goodsprings will have the ownership of his shop turned over to the generic Goodsprings faction (except his bed of course.) Would this be a good problem free way of solving the displayed items?

I don't know about 'problem-free'. It MIGHT work; but Chet's in the GSFaction, so me might still 'own' those things and sell them. Actually, off-hand, I can't think of a quick'n'dirty way of both preserving the karma/rep impact of stealing whilst for sure preventing the sale of something.

Replace the items ownership by a faction rather that a NPC. That way, they won't sell any displayed items. That's what I did and it worked and that, even if Chet belong to the Goodsprings faction. NPC won't sell items that doesn't belong to them individually.

Replace the items ownership by a faction rather that a NPC. That way, they won't sell any displayed items. That's what I did and it worked and that, even if Chet belong to the Goodsprings faction. NPC won't sell items that doesn't belong to them individually.

I thought so. Would it mean that any npc can take items on display though?

I thought so. Would it mean that any npc can take items on display though?

Then, you should check the items as "ignored by sandbox" or "no AI acquire"... I don't know which once work so I always check both and I don't see NPC picking up any of these items.

Then, you should check the items as "ignored by sandbox" or "no AI acquire"... I don't know which once work so I always check both and I don't see NPC picking up any of these items.

Excellent, thank you very much miss! Now I just need to make sure nobody but the following vendors have owned items besides their respawning containers and furniture (leaving it here for future reference or for other knowledgable persons to add npcs to):

Chet, Etienne Clayton, Cliff, Sgt. Daniel, Genaro, Ike, Jack, Klamath, Mick, Miguel, Old Lady Gibson, Samuel, Sarah, Trudy, and Dr. Usanagi.

Edited by Crystalking52

• 7 months later...

Alright, I've been thinkering with the GECK lately and I think I've found the *best* way to prevent NPCs from picking up items. Here how it goes:

- No A.I. Acquire never seems to work on items as my NPCs keep picking them.

- Ignored by Sanbox can't work alone as the item needs to be checked as a persistent reference. Otherwise NPCs will still pick up items.

Therefore, the best way to prevent NPCs from picking up items would be to check both Persistent Reference and Ignored by Sandbox, so this way the NPC will ignore the item in question. You won't even need to create a RefID to do so. Might sound like a lot of work, but NPCs will no longer pillage food display and such. That's all.