Tommy Gun

schube518

Been requested already, but no one has gotten around making them yet because it would be a pain to make new reloading animations. Plus are you requesting the M1A1 Thompson or the One with the drum mag and foregrip?

the M1A1 was superior to the "civ" version made famous by the twenties era gangsters. . .not as prone to jamming

Not really, both the M1921/M1928 style Thompsons and the M1A1 were pretty damn rock-solid.

The main drawback was the drum magazines and its overall bulk - The M1A1 cut down on its size a bit with the shorter barrel and nixing the cutts compensator and forward pistol grip. It also couldn't take the big, heavy, elaborate drum magazines.

Mostly this was done to speed up, simplify, and cheapen production during wartime.

As cool as the drums are, that was a smart move - a loaded Tommy's C or L drum both sound like a coffee can full of marbles when you're walking around. 30 round stick mags were definitely the way to go for wartime.

And no, there are no Thompsons currently used by any SWAT teams or the like. I suppose that a random small-town police chief or sheriff might have one as his long gun, but none are currently issued on a department level. The FBI however still maintains many of their older Thompsons for demonstration & historical purposes, and rumors abound of them having had a few Thompsons converted to fire 10mm Auto in the late 80's before they bought their HK MP5/10's, following their widespread adoption of 10mm auto as their standard handgun round.

Jaysus, The UMP45 fires the exact same .45 ACP round as the old Thompons - so same size holes either way :)

Jaysus, The UMP45 fires the exact same .45 ACP round as the old Thompons - so same size holes either way

well thats what i wanted to say... they still use it even tho a newer gun of same caliber is around... bad wording by me i guess

as to the swat... it migt not be issued anymore (logical) but i know of at least one member who uses one (the mag version, dunno id) in service

Archived