Mods designed for 'Oculus Rift' Virtual Reality

ArtMurder

I don't know how many modders know about this lovely piece of gaming equipment, and that skyrim is already one of the games promised to be supported by it.

http://www.oculusvr.com/

But I would like to see some mods designed specifically for it, "Joy of perspective" is a great example of a mod that works PERFECTLY for it (even though it wasn't designed for it), and I have installed it despite it's.... wonkiness just for the OR.

Edited by ArtMurder

I'm sure there will be plenty of people attempting this once the sdk is out, not sure how easy it will be considering skyrim is on a Bethesda proprietary engine rather than one of the supported engines (unity, unreal).

To be frank the S3D part is easy if you're happy with a driver hack, but for proper VR you need properly integrated support for the motion sensors for the head tracking (not just mouse emulation) and that might be a sticking point... at least I think that will be the main dividing line between functional OR support and terribad part-support.

And thats not even mentioning the UI problems and other such design considerations, though that is something that could be modded I guess.

To be frank, I don't think we'll ever see good support for the OR in already released games like Skyrim unless the developer specifically makes an OR version.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people attempting this once the sdk is out, not sure how easy it will be considering skyrim is on a Bethesda proprietary engine rather than one of the supported engines (unity, unreal).

To be frank the S3D part is easy if you're happy with a driver hack, but for proper VR you need properly integrated support for the motion sensors for the head tracking (not just mouse emulation) and that might be a sticking point... at least I think that will be the main dividing line between functional OR support and terribad part-support.

And thats not even mentioning the UI problems and other such design considerations, though that is something that could be modded I guess.

To be frank, I don't think we'll ever see good support for the OR in already released games like Skyrim unless the developer specifically makes an OR version.

Well OR has probably the best head tracking for any VR system to date, it is miles ahead of every other VR on the market and it can be supported by any game that can support 3D on it's own, and that can apply an in game effect for the head tracking (which skyrim has already been confirmed, I'm not sure if it was done by bethesda or the OR team, but skyrim, L4D, Mirrorsedge, Doom 3, and Hawking are the most anticipated games already confirmed to be supported by it. And there is no question as to the 'realism' of this VR, like I said, it is unlike ANYTHING on the market, every other attempt at VR has been decent at best, so I understand your skepticism. But the fact is, OR is genuinely a very effect VR which any game can be adapted to work with. Some, like Mirror's Edge are obviously going to get more out of it then others, but still. I don't see see how rereleasing skyrim for OR specifically would even make any important changes, for the most part as long as 3D and head tracking are integrated, the OR can fit perfectly into any existing game, although developing a special controller for it would help the immersion, I personally don't mind just using my PS3 controller like always.

Anyways, basically what I was suggesting, is new 1st person mods designed to enhance realism and immersion. I do agree it would be much easier to do once it comes out, but there's no reason someone wouldn't want to get a head start on it. :whistling: I know if I was a modder, that's what I'd be doing.

I cant wait to try it. Im play Skyrim in 3D Vision2 and it adds immensly to immersion, nothing like flat 2D. Oculus' huge FoV will bring immersion on another level though.

As for mods, I dont think you need anything specific. Maybe HUD change, but iHUD author did a good job with it. The most important mods youll need - graphic mods to make Skyrim look more photorealistic

Well OR has probably the best head tracking for any VR system to date, it is miles ahead of every other VR on the market

Agreed, I'm not disputing that at all.

and it can be supported by any game that can support 3D on it's own,

Sadly that's simply not true, I really wish it was. Sure if the game supports S3D then you can use the OR as just 3D goggles, but that's a long way short of VR which absolutely requires ultra low latency head tracking. Mere S3D support in no way guarantees integral support for head tracking.

and that can apply an in game effect for the head tracking (which skyrim has already been confirmed, I'm not sure if it was done by bethesda or the OR team, but skyrim, L4D, Mirrorsedge, Doom 3, and Hawking are the most anticipated games already confirmed to be supported by it.

This is a mix of misinformation, outright error, and rumour. Doom 3 BFG is the only game currently confirmed to support OR VR. Certainly Valve have been looking at VR and will be giving a talk about the difficulties of porting TF2 for VR at GDC (possibly implying that they failed).. however there is no official announcement of VR support actually being released for any Valve title (if you know different then please provide citation). Hawken and several other titles have announced that they will support OR in the future, however the work hasn't been done yet. As for Skyrim, citation link please.

And there is no question as to the 'realism' of this VR, like I said, it is unlike ANYTHING on the market, every other attempt at VR has been decent at best,

Agreed, I'm not disputing that at all.

so I understand your skepticism. But the fact is, OR is genuinely a very effect VR which any game can be adapted to work with.

No, you misunderstand my scepticism, which isn't doubt about the OR itself but that older games can easily be patched or modded to provide a decent VR experience for the OR. Also, in theory any game can be adapted for anything... starcraft could be adapted into a FPS if you put enough work into it, so to say that "any game can be adapted to work with" is a meaningless statement. The reality is that its very unlikely at this stage that many existing games will get the necessary support from the IP owners/developers to integrate support and optimise for VR.

Some, like Mirror's Edge are obviously going to get more out of it then others, but still. I don't see see how rereleasing skyrim for OR specifically would even make any important changes, for the most part as long as 3D and head tracking are integrated, the OR can fit perfectly into any existing game, although developing a special controller for it would help the immersion, I personally don't mind just using my PS3 controller like always.

Right, head tracking needs to be integrated. If you have links about official head tracking in these games then i'd like to see them.

Anyways, basically what I was suggesting, is new 1st person mods designed to enhance realism and immersion. I do agree it would be much easier to do once it comes out, but there's no reason someone wouldn't want to get a head start on it. :whistling: I know if I was a modder, that's what I'd be doing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just raining on your parade to be a dick. I'm as excited about the OR as you are, I have an order in for the SDK and I look forward to tinkering with it myself and maybe helping developers test their games. However I think its important that we keep our feet on the ground and don't let the hype train get out of control.

Reading this post, I am truly excited by the possibilities that OR is going to provide for gaming in general and for Skyrim in potential. I understand that issues involved with latency and headtracking and all that, but I think even with those issues the game would be amazing and immersive despite the possible shortcomings. One thing I would like to suggest, though I know it's a shot in the dark, and perhaps somewhat unrealistic, is a mod to accept input from the Kinect to control your characters limbs. Can you imagine looking down at yourself, and being able to move your arms and seeing them almost like real? Yeah I know that there are issues, and having the Kinect would bog down the system, and all that. Just wanted to put it out there as a possible addition to the immersion factor of the game. Now if only you could combine that with the Playstation Move and use the Move controllers to swing the sword, block with the sheild, shoot the bow, cast spells.... It would be like standing in skyrim with a heavy helmet and goggles on, for real.

Well, maybe if Palmer can make the low latency HMD, he can make other low latency peripherals to further enhance the immersion!

One thing I would like to suggest, though I know it's a shot in the dark, and perhaps somewhat unrealistic, is a mod to accept input from the Kinect to control your characters limbs. Can you imagine looking down at yourself, and being able to move your arms and seeing them almost like real? Yeah I know that there are issues, and having the Kinect would bog down the system, and all that. Just wanted to put it out there as a possible addition to the immersion factor of the game. Now if only you could combine that with the Playstation Move and use the Move controllers to swing the sword, block with the sheild, shoot the bow, cast spells.... It would be like standing in skyrim with a heavy helmet and goggles on, for real.

Kinect/move... not so excited tbh.. too lo-fi, last generation tech. Now if we consider the razer hydra or the Leap motion.. that gets me excited.

Imagine what could be done with a few of these leap sensors:

Edited by IonShard

I ordered one when they started accepting orders on their site. There's already two different drivers to tack on support for older games, and Skyrim keeps getting mentioned. - I'm fairly sure there it'll be playable.

It'll be a challenge to actually develop stuff and not just derp around in Skyrim all day, trying to catch virtual snowflakes on my tongue. :D

One thing I would like to suggest, though I know it's a shot in the dark, and perhaps somewhat unrealistic, is a mod to accept input from the Kinect to control your characters limbs. Can you imagine looking down at yourself, and being able to move your arms and seeing them almost like real? Yeah I know that there are issues, and having the Kinect would bog down the system, and all that. Just wanted to put it out there as a possible addition to the immersion factor of the game. Now if only you could combine that with the Playstation Move and use the Move controllers to swing the sword, block with the sheild, shoot the bow, cast spells.... It would be like standing in skyrim with a heavy helmet and goggles on, for real.

Kinect/move... not so excited tbh.. too lo-fi, last generation tech. Now if we consider the razer hydra or the Leap motion.. that gets me excited.

Imagine what could be done with a few of these leap sensors:

I saw one random video of the maker of the OR describing a glove with sensors connected to the helmet, so that you could control the game with your hands, and the game could always no wear your hand is relative to your face. Something like that would likely have to have a game built around it though, but the implications it could have. Could you imagine waving your fingers to see your character match the exact movement in game?

I also thought about combing this with the mood that lets you shout at your microphone to use shouts and gie orders to your followers.

All we're missing is a rotating treadmill and we can have perfect virtual reality. :tongue: How cheap it could be amazes me as well, I can't imagine the gloves costing more then $100-$150 based on the price of existing ones and complexity that kind of technology would have. (I imagine simple 'bend' detectors on each finger and possibly the wrist, and then trackers on each finger tip, so it can know where each one is compared to each other one, and then compared to the head.)

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, I didn't even know about the Razor or the Leap, and both of those sound perfect for this kind of thing. Imagine using the leap when you're unarmed, to interact with the world, pick up items, or even for unarmed combat, then picking up the Razor Hydra auto-equips your weapons, or spells. People would start attaching the RH to the handle of a real sword just so it feels like they're really swinging a sword, or using a real bow while doing archery, just for the realism. Or making mods to cast magic with specific hand gestures for the Leap, or specific words with their mics. Heck people would learn the Dragon Language just to be able to do the dragon shouts accurately. Immersion central.

I'm thinking that when TESO comes out it should have OR support, and in game voice chat, with proximity sound so that the voices come from where the other PCs are, with volume and echo and other effects based on their location in the world. And RH support. Then the only thing missing would be the omni-directional treadmill, and you would be IN Tamriel.