Tweaking iShadowMapResolution, problem

munduses

Hi!

I'm trying to tweak my skyrimprefs to - once and for all - get Skyrim's shadows' edges look smooth and non-jagged. Or at least I'm trying to see if it's even possible. But I have a bit of a problem.

Changing iShadowMapResolution to 4096 helped just a bit, but not as much as I wanted it to. I then combined iBlurDeferredShadowMask=32 with iShadowMapResolution=8192 (which has apparently been declared as a confirmed fix, discussed on various forums and tweaking articles, for example here (scroll to bottom of page)).

Anyway, I tried that and the shadows finally looked like real shadows, with smooth edges with a hint of blurriness. FPS stayed nicely at ~60 when moving around, so I thought it was permanently fixed. But apparently not. After around 30 seconds of playing my FPS suddenly drops from 60 to ~5, where it stays for another few seconds and then suddenly my monitor loses signal. Signal automatically returns immediately after it is lost, and then the game continues with FPS at 60 like nothing happened. Rinse and repeat.

The FPS drops to 5 whatever I do, even just standing against a wall doing nothing (both inside and outside). Always after around 20-30 seconds of loading a save.

Would anyone have a hunch of what might be the culprit? Assuming this tweak has worked for other people, without any issues.

My specs:

GTX 580 Matrix Platinum (1.5 GB)

16GB DDR3 1600Mhz

i5 750 OC'd@~3.4Ghz

Corsair PSU 750W

My first thought was, that it could be some kind of power issues. But I don't know. I've never experienced monitor signal loss before, in the middle of a game. Just odd.

Not that I can't play with semi-crappy shadows, I'm just very curious on what is the cause of this. I'm tweaking just for my own enjoyment and thirst for knowledge :)

Thank you in advance!