Topic for a Dialog Package

trilioth

Trying to familiarize myself with AI Packages, I ran across a Dialog Package. There is a drop down box for selecting a topic. My problem is I can't find this topic.

How would one create a topic for a dialog package?

Are they created inside a quest?

Digging through the Filter Dialog window is a pain. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/wallbash.gif I can't seem to find the topic listed anywhere, where I might have a chance to edit it or look at it's settings. It's related to Cass and I have looked through everything I can find on her.

Edit:

I finally found it the topic. I just overlooked it. It is in the quest VDialogueCass under topics.

What I don't understand is why the the topic doesn't have any data other than priority 50. There is nothing to suggest what Cass would say, if anything, once the Dialog Package fired.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you might have.

Edited by trilioth

You didn't say what the editor ID of the package was, you didn't say what the editor ID of the topic was, and there are a lot of topics with priority 50 in quest VDialogueCass. So it's kind of hard to provide additional input. :confused:

It was an attempt not to reveal spoilers as the names are a bit revealing.

Package: CassAliceDeadDialoguePackage

Topic: CassCrimsonCaravanDead

I am just trying to figure out how to do this kind of thing for myself by studying what the developers have done.

This will spoil a plot point:

I found the dialog package being added to Cass in an OnDead block of AliceMcLaffertyScript,

So far as I can tell, the package will fire under the right circumstances. Are you saying that the dialog package does nothing? I haven't actually experienced the scenario in game, and I don't mind the spoilers.

Like you said, the topic that is attached to the dialog package is empty, so even though it executes there is nothing for it to do. The first line of that OnDeath block where the variable is set presumably replaces the functionality intended by the dialog package. That variable ties into the relevant info record in the GREETING topic of that quest.

Using the GREETING topic in a dialog package is perfectly valid, just like any other topic. As long as a quest with the GREETING topic is running and the conditions for that INFO match the actor and/or other conditions, and the conditions on the quest itself, then it will work.

Like you said, the topic that is attached to the dialog package is empty, so even though it executes there is nothing for it to do. The first line of that OnDeath block where the variable is set presumably replaces the functionality intended by the dialog package. That variable ties into the relevant info record in the GREETING topic of that quest.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Using the GREETING topic in a dialog package is perfectly valid, just like any other topic. As long as a quest with the GREETING topic is running and the conditions for that INFO match the actor and/or other conditions, and the conditions on the quest itself, then it will work.

Thanks.

With this topic in mind, I would think it would be something that Cass would say as soon as the conditions are met, but with it being under GREETING. my understanding is that the player would have to start conversation with Cass to hear this.

I take it that all quest topics are only checked by the player initiating conversation, where conversations has to do with NPC to NPC idle chatter. I am I right?

With this topic in mind, I would think it would be something that Cass would say as soon as the conditions are met, but with it being under GREETING. my understanding is that the player would have to start conversation with Cass to hear this.

It seems the package has a use after all. Using the console I set the quest variables for Cass to say that GREETING line and added the package on her. She ran up and started talking about it. I forgot that dialogue packages are used to forcegreet the player, although in this it is a little weird because the topic associated with the package is not used.

I take it that all quest topics are only checked by the player initiating conversation, where conversations has to do with NPC to NPC idle chatter. I am I right?

Topics are where the player opens the dialogue window and has to choose options of what to say, whereas conversations are said in-game and are just said out loud by the NPC. Conversations can be said to the player or to another NPC.