Rivet city crashes!~? AGGHGH help~~!!!

Sephirothskr

All of a sudden I cannot cross the bridge into rivet city without it crashing. Well, more of a freezing then anything. I can't load a game outside rivet city, I can't fast travel to rivet city, I can't walk onto the bridge of rivet city without it crashing. Does ANYONE have a solution? Please help!

Sephirothskr - Hello!

Well freezing is normally caused by the Fallout 3 multi core bug.

Fallout 3 has trouble with multi core computers, mainly with ones that have more than two cores & use hyperthreading.

There is a fix, you need to edit your Fallout 3 .ini file.

The one you want to change is:

For XP:

My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\

For Vista & Win7:

Documents\My Games\Fallout3

The file you want will be called:

FALLOUT.ini

Open the .ini with Notepad & change this line:

bUseThreadedAI=0

to:

bUseThreadedAI=1

& insert this line under it:

iNumHWThreads=2

Save & close your ini.

Crashes on saves around Rivet City & Project Purity can be caused by a fault in the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp, a fix for that can be found here:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?showtopic=401813

The other thing that can cause CTD's is going overboard on memory usage, like a particularly large cell load.

Now Rivet City is already & big hit on performance just vanilla, if you've added in some hi-res textures that affect Rivet City that could be what's causing your troubles there. If the freeze & CTD is only happening in Rivet city & you do have hi-res textures there that's quite likely the cause.

If you don't have any hi-res textures & it's only happening Outside Rivet City, check to see if you have any mods making changes to that location. If you do turn them off & see if the troubles gone.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

I disabled my hi res texture and... it worked. Why on earth was this the problem? I've been to rivet city plenty of times and now all of a sudden it trolls me.. Why?

send or post the link to the High rez mod. I want to inspect the data.

Kitty.

Sephirothskr - Hello!

"I disabled my hi res texture and... it worked. "

Glad that worked. :)

If the CTD near Rivet City goes without the hi-res textures that would suggest you're pushing the memory usage in that area.

"Why on earth was this the problem? I've been to rivet city plenty of times and now all of a sudden it trolls me.. Why?"

If you've been to Rivet City with the high-res textures pack installed before with no problems it could simply be that you were very close to the tipping point as far as memory usage.

All it would take then is for something else like a particularly high-res armor or a few extra NPC's in the area to tip you over the limit & result in CTD's.

As stated before, Rivet City is a particularly resource intensive area. It's not uncommon to "feel" a bit of lag in that area with just vanilla assets.

If your texture replacer is something like NMC, that has different versions that are smaller in size that you may be able to get away with.

You can also cherry pick which high-res textures you use. For instance you could simply remove the Rivet City textures from the pack you use so that you can continue using the replacers for other areas.

You could also swap only the Rivet City high-res textures for "LITE" ones (assuming you're using NMC) & thus keep the higher ones for the less intensive other locations.

If you are using NMC take a look through the hint's & tips on performance near the bottom of the Description page there.

Of particular note is Large Address Aware Enabler for FO3:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/6510

That can help with handling larger textures & just help running Fallout 3 better in general.

Hope this helps!

Prensa