Pushing mods to the limit using scripts

AKcelsior

I just recently got Skyrim to stop crashing after 2 days of debugging, reinstalling, editing regs, etc. I'm not too familiar with papyrus logs... but I enabled it anyways and noticed when I crashed the last few hundred lines in the log would read some blah blah about minty's lightning mod, deadly dragons, interesting npcs, wet and cold, wearable lanters (guards and caravans too),0 and skybirds. I know for sure that at least 4 of those said mods run some pretty beefy scripts. Someone said that too many mods running scripts can overly tax my core i3 and wind up crashing. I removed nearly all mods that were suspect and started a new game (for about the 100th time today) and it is stable as can be.

So how does one exactly know before downloading a mod if it relies on scripts? A lot of script mods you can tell by the very nature of the mod's intentions, but there is always those iffy ones. Is there a reasonable way to know if a mod you are about to install is going to load up dozens of scripts? The problem is that usually I don't crash until a few hours after installing and playing with the troubled mod therefore making uninstalling a real pain as I will lose all my progress to revert to an earlier save. It's one thing if the author says so on his/her mod page but unfortunately that's not always the case. Any insight is appreciated.