Changing laser beam color

mhahn123

While I've done a lot of modding for Oblivion this is my first time messing around with FO3. I started a project for my son which creates unique looks for each and every unique weapon and armor in the game. Includes all DLC and missing unique content.

Now why would I go to all that trouble you ask...when there are already mods out there for this purpose? Well...couldn't find a mod or even combination of mods which retextured Every single unique. In fact I couldn't find anything for most of the Zeta uniques so I did almost all of those from scratch. My package uses bits and pieces of other authors work, and a good deal of my own, to give a unique look to every single unique item in the game. This includes unique textures for each of the followers weapons. All of the cut content has been retexed and placed in game. And some pieces have new meshes as well.

If I can get responses from all of the authors I borrowed from this will probably go public soon. If I can't get permissions...I will still probably release at least the Zeta weapons pack and followers weapons which are all my own work anyway.

Doing the meshes and textures for the items themselves was not a problem at all...very similar to my previous experience. My stumbling block has come at the very end. I want to change the laser beam color on Vengeance and Fawkes Gatling Laser to more or less match the new textures for them. Vengeance needs to be a deeper red and Fawkes gun a mid to deep green. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this part out and haven't been able to find any info on how it's done.

Any tips, hints suggestions are appreciated.

The laser beams color is controlled by the vertex color of the nif model which you will find under projectiles. If you are not familiar with vertex color, this is something that has to be changed in a 3d program. I use 3D studio Max but I assume the others can do it also. You simply select a vertex and change what color it is, then when you export, make sure you have vertex color checked. You will probably want to change the muzzle flash also and that is found under effects/muzzleflashes in the meshes folder and is also controlled by the vertex color and by the emissive color in the .nif so you get the proper glow. Now if you want to change the color of the particle burst and impact that goes with them, that is a much trickier operation and is what made me pull my hair out.

After adjusting the colors of the impact and muzzle flash nifs, in the GECK under Special Effects/AddOnNode/MPS you will find an entry that calls the nif that sets the color of the impact or muzzle burst. Then in the nif of the impact or muzzle flash, there are 2 entries called AddOnNode, The addon number specifies which MPS entry to call. AddOnNode 05 is smoke, the next one is the particles. I thought you had to change the numstringID but that was wrong you have to change the value in the entry itself to match the ID number of the MPS entry in the geck. See attachment.

http://worldswithoutend.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/mpsaddon.jpg

It's been awhile since I did this and I am probably forgetting a step or two, if you have more questions feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help more.

Actually you can edit the vertex colors in NifSkope. I posted the following picture recently for another modder that was wanting to change the colors of force fields, the same process applies for laser beams. You need find the "Vertex Colors" entry under "NiTriStripsData" of the model you're wanting to change the colors of. Be warned it can be tedious process though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/ghostnull/Fallout/Untitled-1_zps837b0e05.png

Well a great big thanks to both of you for the helpful hints. You've saved me from going utterly insane on this one. Unfortunately I don't have a 3D program so was unable to get anywhere with LXD9's suggestion. Although it surely wouldhave done the trick.

Nifskope on the other hand is an old friend who has literally done 95% of all my Oblivion modding. So with ghostnull's little screen shot I managed to get my stuff done in under ten minutes.

A bit tedious yes...but not as bad as I thought at first glance. And it's a tool I already have on hand...so yeah..works for me. Once again thanks to both for pitching in.. much appreciated. If I manage to get all my permissions lined up and upload this file, you both have a special mention in the credits.

Regards,

M Hahn