Skyrim Mod crashing game

PTR1023

So im new to this mod community. I just recently got Skyrim. So i thought i would play with couple mod... or a lot. So i went through and download the Mod Manager and then downloaded a bunch of mods. Mostly mods that enchances the graphics, textures, etc. I downloaded all of them through the mod manager and then activated each one. Then under Plugins, i selected all of them and then pressed Launch Skyrim. I go through the intro... and once the dragon swoops down to stop my execution, *crash. Before i downloaded any of these mods... the game was running just fine.

Did i do something wrong? did i download one of the mods incorrectly? are some of them conflicting with other ones (how do i know if they do?)... Please, someone help me out here. Thanks in advance.

If textures and meshes were installed, they will be loaded even if you turned off the esp's associated with them. Depending on how many mods you installed, a full reinstall of the game may be a more expedient method of fixing your problem.

Read this first:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/583662-important-load-order-and-you/

Are you still in Helgen? Don't use mods while in the Helgen intro. Just don't. I've had everything from random CTDs, to standing in the middle of the road unable to move, to things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9JjmZq11d8

Also, don't install EVERY MOD ON THE NEXUS at once. It'll destabilize your game and you might wind up having to reinstall the entire thing from scratch (learned this the hard way).

If I'm installing multiple mods at once I choose them by type, say "custom armours" and "random scripted mods". I'll install like 1 or 2 of each at a time, open up my save game, sit there for about a minute to let the game do it's thing, hit T and wait one hour, then save my game and install anything else in same size groupings... but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

BOSS sorts your mods so they (hopefully) won't clash with each other. Try running BOSS and seeing if that fixes your problem before you uninstall anything. It might just be a load order conflict and will save you a load of trouble.

Edited by noweha

Also, don't install EVERY MOD ON THE NEXUS at once. It'll destabilize your game and you might wind up having to reinstall the entire thing from scratch (learned this the hard way).

Yes indeed....this is the consistent pattern I've noticed for the majority of the request for CTD assistance:

1) install a ton of mods, ignore stickies and tutorials.

2) play game, maybe stable for hours or even days.

3) start experiencing consistent CTDs and other issues.

4) start yanking out mods (which just makes it worse, because crap has already been baked into the save game).

5) halp me!!!

But about disabling mods for the Helgan sequence....I am not sure if that's necessary. I actually use it as a 'litmus test' for load orders. There are some exceptions when the mod has good reasons to delay enabling until after the tutorial, but for the most part, if your load order can't survive the Helgan tutorial without CTDs or things like imperial legion soldiers falling off horses and getting trampled by General Tullius, it probably won't be very stable in the long term. The only (popular) mods I can think of, off the top of my head, that might benefit from not being enabled from the start, are hair mods, hi-res body texture replacers, and all those cosmetic mods that collectively contribute to freezes and CTDs during the character creation menu. Unlike level list changes that need MOBs to respawn for you to see the edits, those cosmetic mods can be disabled/enabled any time and will have no impact on the save game.

But about disabling mods for the Helgan sequence....I am not sure if that's necessary. I actually use it as a 'litmus test' for load orders. There are some exceptions when the mod has good reasons to delay enabling until after the tutorial, but for the most part, if your load order can't survive the Helgan tutorial without CTDs or things like imperial legion soldiers falling off horses and getting trampled by General Tullius, it probably won't be very stable in the long term. The only (popular) mods I can think of, off the top of my head, that might benefit from not being enabled from the start, are hair mods, hi-res body texture replacers, and all those cosmetic mods that collectively contribute to freezes and CTDs during the character creation menu. Unlike level list changes that need MOBs to respawn for you to see the edits, those cosmetic mods can be disabled/enabled any time and will have no impact on the save game.

I mostly meant that comment in terms to "scripted" mods (I probably should have said so :hurr:). I guess it would be fine is someone just had some custom skin/hair, but Helgen is entirely scripted and doesn't actually exist in game (well, the non-destroyed version, anyways). :ohdear: In fact, I've only experienced things like what I posted above after I did install scripted mods.

Truthfully, I think different collections of mods should be treated differently, but there is no way of knowing what one person doesn't or does have so I tend to just say "disable mods for Helgen". :tongue: